Bus

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

J. Leno

Bus

Post by J. Leno » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:31 pm

Im shopping for a new video card and notice the new products are listed as PCI Express devices. I know I have a PCI bus, but is that the same as PCI Express? I dont know how to figure out what my bus is exactly, any help there would be great. If I dont have PCI Express is it possible to convert my bus so I can get a PCI Express card to work?

Pace Racing
Godfather

Post by Pace Racing » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:04 pm

I just asked the same question myself recently. PCI express is a different type of bus, so if you don't have it, you would have to replace your motherboard to use a PCI Express video card. From what I've heard, the performance gain for PCI Express is hardly noticeable over an AGP video card, so if you already have AGP, I would probably just stick with that.

Hynee
Judging Panel Member

Post by Hynee » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:56 pm

Yeah, PCI Express or PCI-X is a new type of bus. AGP was PCI at 2-8x speed, only for graphics cards, PCI-X comes in multiple channels, with normal cards going into 1 channel PCI-X slots (PCI-X 1x I think) and new graphics cards going into PCI-X 16x. I think there are plans to make RAID cards work on PCI-X 2x or 4x.

Most PCI-X motherboards come with 1 PCI-X 16x slot, 2-4 PCI-X 1x slot, and a few old PCI slots. You can also get mobos with 2 PCI-X 16x slots, for dual graphics cards setups.
||||||| Hynee |||||||

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:58 pm

Yeah. PCI-X or PCI Express require a new motherboard as the electronics to run it at the faster speed are different. I think that the PCI-Express buss is going to be more of the standard in the near future, for video cards. I'm already finding a larger selection of PCI-X cards and lower prices than the AGP cards. My mother board doesn't have a PCI-X buss, and I have been watching video card prices. I think I'll get an AGP card this time, but...by the time I'm ready for my NEXT video card, it'll most likely be a PCI Express version.

By the way, the geForce 6600GT looks like a good buy, right now. Around $150 or so. Some lesser brands are lower.