Router census

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Router census

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:22 am

What routers are you using? Let's pool our knowledge. Any comments about the performance of your router? Does it perform as you expected? Is it stable? Are there any conditions that cause it to crash?

I have a TRENDnet BEW-431BRP 4-port wireless G router. No real complaints with it. It has crashed about 3 times in the last year. No problems under high load. It regularly supports about 6 PCs via various sub routers and a wireless laptop. Much more stable than the previous Linksys!

Pace Racing
Godfather

Post by Pace Racing » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:22 am

I had a Linksys router for many years (BEFW11S4), and it did a good job until one day, it just stopped. I replaced it with a DLink wireless router, that when accompanied by the same DLink card, doubles the speed of wireless G to 108 MBS, which actually does work. While my gaming pc is hard wired to the router, the wireless connection on other computers seems to be just as fast when downloading files.
Last edited by Pace Racing on Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:47 am

Belkin Wireless G router. It gives good coverage over our whole house. That's good for Mrs W and her laptop. It doesn't seem to change my ping rate to F1C online, in some quick tests last weekend. I have found that selected online speed checks will cause it to lock up.

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:18 am

Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router...Model BEFW11S4....use the wireless for tivo and a laptop....

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:51 pm

I read an interesting article over at Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/06/1 ... june_2006/

Suffice it to say that there are good routers and there are bad routers, not only in terms of reliability but also speed and even the number of simulataneous downloads they allow before their performance plummets. Before you replace your router you should check out this chart to make sure you're not buying a turkey. And if you did buy a turkey, this chart will tell you the one you should buy next. What router you have is definitely something to consider when your online gaming performance is important to you.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/lans_rout ... ?chart=119

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:51 am

Only 1 Belkin on the chart and it's not mine.

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:45 pm

My router consists of a cardboard box with some drawn on LED's, large amounts of duct tape and some funny blue wires running out of it.... Wireless can be achieved by cutting the blue wires off.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:17 pm

JohnW wrote:Only 1 Belkin on the chart and it's not mine.
It's a chart for buyers so you won't find out-of-production models on it. If you really want to know then I'm sure somebody has a review of your router at THG or elsewhere!
Knitrous wrote:My router consists of a cardboard box with some drawn on LED's, large amounts of duct tape and some funny blue wires running out of it.... Wireless can be achieved by cutting the blue wires off.
That's pretty advanced for where you live, Aaron ;)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:48 pm

I just got this wireless router last year. I didn't know it was out of production. Besides, the chart is a compilation of a number of their reviews, both past and present.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:05 pm

Don't complain to me, complain to THG ;)

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:03 pm

That's pretty advanced for where you live, Aaron
Hehehe, my phone is awesome, nothing wrong with the good ole cup and string communication system 8)

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:32 pm

I just ordered a Zyxel wireless G router...anyone ever hear of zyxel??