Backup Lights

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

F1Addict

Backup Lights

Post by F1Addict » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Ok, I got a 300GB Seagate external drive specifically so that I can occasionally scrub the internal drive and reinstall XP (like L(U)_P says I should). What I need to know is what files should I designate for backup in order to duplicate exactly what I have right now on a fresh XP install?

I don't think I actually have the XP disc, I believe that all I have is the "RECOVERY" disc for this computer. I'll have to check, if that makes a difference.

What I want is for the computer to look identical to what it does right now minus the XP glitches (like IE locking up and disappearing DVD-RW and DVD-ROM drives)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:09 pm

Well...

What you are trying to get is a recover backup , right ? If you want to be able to scrub the driver, and then install XP fresh, ( or just run the restoration CD, if that's the case. ) you would want to back up things YOU installed after that. The "My Documents" folder, and any of the other folders, such as where you keep all you data and videos and the like. Remember to export and save you e-mail stuff, so you can restore all your address books and saved e-mail.

To be honest, most of the programs will need to be reinstalled for them to work with Windows properly, so the "Program Files" folder is probably not worth getting. I hear that rfactor and F1C do NOT need to be fully installed, and you can backup their folders successfully.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:07 pm

Most of the apps that I've installed since I purchased this machine have been copied into a specific directory. Not just the application, but the actual CD so I figure if I copy everything to the external drive I should be able to point back to that when it asks me for something.

The problem I have is that it's taken me a year or so to delete all the AOL and Compuserve crap that came with the OEM software load. I would prefer not having all that crap but then I'd lose some of the Sony specific apps that I do use.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:41 pm

What we do at work is use Norton Ghost. We get the computer loaded up the way we want, and before it goes to the user, we make an "image" of it and store that exact snapshot on a server somewhere. Once you have that, you can restore the whole system in about 15-20 minutes at the most. Obviously, the amount of stuff you have at the point you make the image affects the size of it and how long it takes to restore. External HDs work good for storing these images too.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:19 pm

And I have Ghost, but I don't want to make an image of what I have right now, because it's not working correctly. I'll probably have to backup stuff, reload XP and then do my best to restore everything, then make an image, then backup every week or so.

I was just hoping for something easier.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:44 pm

Have you tried reloading XP over it's self ? I have fixed an almost non working comuter that way. It replaces only the windows installed stuff. All the programs worked and the icons on the desktop remained as well.