Setting up a router

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

Boomer

Setting up a router

Post by Boomer » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:32 am

I bought this Zyxel router and I can't get it to work....It has a simple wizard that is supposed to set it up....I tell it I have a dynamic IP....then it asks to clone my mac address?? Thats it....on the screen it says "obtaining address from dhcp...please wait" or something like that....nothing ever happens...can't connect to internet...??

mongo777

Post by mongo777 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:41 am

I don't know if this will help you, but it did help me when I was setting up my router. that is about all I can help you with.

www.portforward.com

I did notice that it also has some info about port forwarding for rFactor also.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:55 am

Hmmm. Not real good...but. Who is your ISP ? With mine, anytime I put a new device between my computer and the wall, I have to call their tech support guys and have them reset stuff.

1) Cloning the MAC ( unique hardware number ) is not needed. The router is normally set to get an IP address from your ISP and then give your computer(s) a "private" IP address. Something like 192.168.1.2 is common.

Now, that being said, if it asked if you were getting your IP address automatically, or "dynamically" then it might try cloning your network cards MAC address and pretending to be your PC and hoping your ISP didn't notice. I've never had a router go this route, but you never know.

Here is a few steps to try, to determine the where the problem is.

1) Remove the router and make sure your computer can still get on line. If you can't move to step 2....

2) Open a command prompt and type ipconfig and see if you have a 192 type number of something public, like 72 or 68 or something NOT 192. See if you have a gateway address too. If all your numbers ARE 192....then you need to type ipconfig /release and follow that with ipconfig /renew. If you get a new set of numbers, then you SHOULD be able to surf.

3) Plug the router in and see if you can surf. If not, then you know the router is not set right. You might consider reseting the router back to factory defaults at this point, Just to get a clean sheet.

Here are the two things you need to consider.
1) Do you want the router to get the IP and DNS and gateway info from your ISP and then give you a private number ? That is the most common setup.

Most routers can be configured with a web interface. You just need to know the IP address it got from your ISP and the admin name and password. These last two things are in the user guide.

If it is not on, turn DHCP server on, so it passes private IP to you.

Go back to your computer and do an ipconfig /release and then /renew again. If you get a 192.....number then you SHOULD be good to go.

2) Do you want your router to have the same MAC address as your computer and pretend to be you , so you can take it out of the loop , if needed ?

If so...then I would tell it to clone your address again and then then do the ipconfig stuff again.

That should be the basics, but if you still get stuck, try calling your ISP and make sure they don't need to release the IP address from the routers nuber or your computers number. They can do a test from their end to make sure they can see your router.

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:50 am

Thanks for the help....I ended up using the MAC address from my old router....I typed that into the box that wanted a mac address and it worked.....go figure....working on the wireless part now!!

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:17 pm

That makes perfect sense. If you had a router with this ISP before, they have it set in some table for your connection. Since they don't know you replaced it, they keep expecting the same MAC address. I'm sure a call to you ISP should have fixed this to work with your NEW router, as well.

Coopster

Post by Coopster » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:08 pm

Ok I got a question for you guys, I completed my setup of the router, and everything is working fine, but when I turn off my computer, the router loses the ip address, and I have to reset the router and computer. How do I determine what kind of connection I have? ie- static, eee, etc?

*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:38 pm

The only thing I can think of is that the router is being turned off too OR it is set to "pass through" the info to the computer. If your computer is set to DHCP and the ISP has a SHORT lease time, it may see you computer is off, and gives the IP address to someone else. You THEN have to do an IPCONFIG /renew to get another one.

To be honest, I'm baffeled about that. Contact your ISP for sure.

I highly doubt you have a static IP. Those cost MONEY to have. Mostly, the router is set to DHCP and gets it's IP from your ISP. In my case, that IP is aasigned by the MAC address of the router. If I take the router out of the loop, my ISP ( Verizon ) won't hand me a ne IP and things won't work. My computer is a different MAC address. The computer behind it is set DHCP as well, but the router gives it a "private" IP that begins with a 192.168.xxx.xxx.