Rebooting... rebooting...re...

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:44 am

JohnW wrote:The data you can get to.
For the most part, we have all of the CDs for the applications on this machine. Honestly, there is very little on it. We have MS Office Student and Teacher Edition, Canon Photo Professional RAW Image Editor, Photoshop, the drivers for her printer, and LimeWire. With the exception of LimeWire (which is a downloadable app.), we have the application CDs for all of these.

Now, the only one of those applications that requires authentication is MS Office. When we try to re-install MS Office will the Microsoft Online Police (MOP) tell me that I can't install this software because our user license has been exceeded?
Why do you drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:42 pm

No. You can call MS and tell the police that your computer crashed and you had to reinstall.

A new guy at work will be providing me with an XP Home CD you should be able to use.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 pm

We actually found her eMachines file this afternoon. In that file we found a "restore" CD, which I assume is what eMachines provides their customers with instead of the actual XP Home CD, preventing people from easily purchasing their computers and then eliminating all the crap they load on there by just installing the OS. The advantage is that I'll have all of the drivers for the onboard audio and video.

Our plan for right now is to off-load all the data from her HDD to my 300GB external. Then I'll run the restore, delete all the crap, and then install all the apps. and carefully transfer the data back, taking care to not transfer back any part of the old OS.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:53 pm

That would be the best plan.

( Oh, and I've been told , by someone who had to support them, that eMachines have poor power supplies and are often the problem with them ! )

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:41 am

Yeah, the 80 watt OEM PS lasted about a year. I replaced it with 300W name brand (don't recall the name) unit that cost me around $70. I'm quite certain it's not the power supply.

When I do this, this weekend, should I clear the CMOS? There was a book for her MB in that file we found that explains how to do this, I just don't know if it's necessary.

As I'm typing this, I'm running more tests on her computer. I've gotten it to reSTART three times now without a glitch. It ran overnight without rebooting and it hasn't rebooted during boot once in the past three attempts. The only difference... I removed her Green Bay Packers screen saver. It was one of those active deals that would link to somewhere and collect the most recent photos and stats and display them when in screen-saver mode.

I have to be honest, I think we may have found our problem.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:43 am

I should point out that that screen saver has been on there for nearly a year. Long before we started having problems with the reboots. I know that doesn't mean it's not the culprit, it's just odd that it would run perfectly for months and then start causing reboots. Maybe it's because they didn't make it to the play-offs.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:45 am

One never knows what evil lies in the heart of a Windows machine !

It may be that the screen saver and some OTHER bit of newly installed thing ( service pack, drivers, spyware, etc... ) may not be a good combo.