Rebooting... rebooting...re...

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:07 pm

In today's reboot session...

I brought over my old Sony which has a bad hard drive but everything else works fine. I pulled the RAM and the PS and tried to stuff it into the eMachine. No dice. The PS was missing the square 4 pin and while the CPU fan fired up and other noises were heard, there were no visual or auditory cues as to it's status. Of course, the RAM didn't fit either. It was the same size and shape as the one from the Sony but the gap in the pin side was in a different location.

So, I put everthing back the way it was and turned the eMachine on. It rebooted almost immediately. Then it rebooted over and over again immediately after the first screen (the one that says Press "del" to enter setup). Between reboots, I pressed "Del" and went into the BIOS setup. It didn't reboot while I was there. As soon as I exited, it started rebooting again. I'm here now, on the eMachine, typing this message so, in time, I am able to get into Windows and do stuff but there's not telling when it might reboot again. Thank God I finished typing this.

I'll be picking up a used PSU tomorrow and trying that out.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:05 pm

The voltage on the two memory sticks is different. That's why the slot is different. ( 5v vs. 3.3v or something like that. )

Without the 4 pin connector, for the proccessor, I don't think the "Power Good " signal line on the logic board would ever allow the CPU to power up.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:13 pm

Between reboots, I pressed "Del" and went into the BIOS setup. It didn't reboot while I was there. As soon as I exited, it started rebooting again.
The power supply doesn't know you're in the BIOS. If the power was the true problem, it would be rebooting in the bios too ! The only aside I can think of is that, the point your PC is rebooting is when the HD is being accessed to load drivers and Windows. This may pull more volts than just spining up and sitting in the BIOS. Still... a P/S is still a good place to start.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:02 pm

There are lots of different types of RAM. The POST screen will usually tell you what kind of RAM you need. It's a bit risky just to blindly swap the modules.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:29 pm

I picked up a used power supply this afternoon. They guy told me that they test everything before they throw it on the shelf. It had mostly all the same plugs that the other one did including the black and yellow square one that plugs onto the mother board but it wouldn't turn on. It has a switch on the back which I made sure was in the "on" position and then I pushed the power button on the computer but nothing happened. I should have know, it's a King Yes power supply. The bigger miracle would have been if it actually did work.

I'll take it back to them tomorrow and make them give me another one and then I'll make them power it up right there so I know that it works. It only cost me $10.

I opened Christa's power supply up and it definitely looks like some things have burned in there. There's this crusty, brown/black stuff around some of the capacitors. It also says "Do not open! No servicable parts inside". There's a fuse in there, that seems servicable. Why do they lie?

I'm tired.

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Prime 95 is great for testing computers out :D

Coopster

Post by Coopster » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:54 pm

im guessing on this one , but heres my two cents , I had something simular happen to me, the computer would reboot randomly but not as frequent as yours. But somtimes I would get the blue screen of death and it would give me an error code. Is the computer "old" ? by your bios stats it dosent seem so. anyways eventually one day I turned it on and All I got was bios, it wouldnt go any further. Board went bad. Im guessing its your cpu or the board. checkc the board for any dark spots, may indicate an overheat as lp is suspecting.

anyways thats about all i got.

Good luck.

*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 pm

I'm hoping it's not the CPU or MB. The machine isn't particularly old but it's not new, either. It's about three and a half years old, plenty old enough to be showing signs of it's age.

Please be the power supply, please!

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:29 pm

If I had an eMachine P/S in our "bone yard" I'd send it your way.

Of course, remove ANYTHING you can from the motherboard. Like all the drive cables and any add on cards except the video. Simplify the system as much as you can. Some device MAY be causing this too.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:41 pm

F1Addict wrote:Please be the power supply, please!
That's the prayer of every hardware tech who ever worked a problem 8)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:37 pm

Yep.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:35 am

I've been trying to post an update for some time but every time I got close to finishing up the post, her computer would reboot. :roll:

We took the PS in to a local shop and they tested it on another MB, it seemed to work just fine so the guy suggested "I tink jew muss hab a birus or son-ting". I think he was right.

After getting home and reinstalling the PS, I decided to boot in safe mode, it ran perfectly in safe mode, no reboots, nothing. But as soon as I went back to a normal boot, it started crashing.

It's got to be software. Her Norton expired at the end of January and we can't afford the $50 for renewal right now, however, this problem started happening around Christmas or maybe even before, when her anti-virus wasn't expired and was up to date.

I brought the machine with me this weekend in the hopes that I could find some solution. However, without the XP discs, I seriously doubt that I'm going to have any success.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:47 pm

F1Addict

There is a utility , from a copmany whos name is magic jelly beens , that will dig out the install code from Windows. You can then write it down and , unless it's a proprietory version, you can use another copy of XP, or XP Pro , depending on what you have now, and reintall from scratch. It may NOT be a virus. It could be a bad driver or service running. XP may be able to fix itsself with booting from the CD and choosing repair, at the screen where it looks for previous installs and THEN asks if you want to try and repair it. NOT the first time, when it asks to install or repair.

Or....if we meet as expected.... perhaps I can take it to my shop and give it hell !

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:57 pm

Create a new user account and log into that one instead. Norton is crap. Get avast. It's free.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:28 pm

If he can keep his computer running long enough to download anything. Free AVG would be better than nothing.