Rebooting... rebooting...re...

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:39 pm

Yeah, we're looking at AV options. Norton is just sucking us dry and, while it seems to work just fine, it causes a lot of problems including an unbelievably long boot and cApp (sic.?) errors. We fixed the errors but the endless boot time persists.

We have the XP Key, it's on a sticker on the case. What we don't have is the stupid XP disk. I got one with my machine and she with hers but we haven't been able to find either. She's going to have another look in her files tomorrow to see if she can find it.

I have her machine here in O.C. so that I can have it running next to mine in order to transfer any files I may need. I've been deathly ill the past few days and my brain seems to be filled with runny stuff rather than synapses, making it difficult to concentrate on anything but, since I have the time, I've decided to tackle this. This cold will pass but her fury at the reboots will not.

This will be made much easier when we find an XP cd.

After we fix the rebooting problem, I'll ask your advice on AV. I've heard of free stuff that's just as good or better than Norton or McAfee but I'm always skeptical of free stuff, thinking that there must be a catch.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Norton used to be free. It's just the life cycle of the product. First they give it away in order to achieve market domination, then they attach a price. I've trusted my business to Avast for the last year, so it's real.

Coopster

Post by Coopster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:17 am

sygate and avg is what i use (both are free for home applications), I dont like mcafee or norton.

*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:59 pm

I run Ubuntu 6.06 so I don't know what a virus is :wink:

I run AVG 7.5 Free and ClamWin AV in tandem on any of my Windows machines, with scans set to every 12 hours, with a batch program I wrote to Ghost Backup nightly, run chkdsk, defrag each partition 5 times in a row and remove the "c:/unzipped" folder that banks up crap daily....

Only way I could get a windows box to stay reliable for more then 12 months :)

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 pm

I run AVG 7.5 Free and ClamWin AV in tandem on any of my Windows machines, with scans set to every 12 hours, with a batch program I wrote to Ghost Backup nightly, run chkdsk, defrag each partition 5 times in a row and remove the "c:/unzipped" folder that banks up crap daily....
What would you do if you had a four-year-old eMachine? :roll:
Last edited by F1Addict on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 pm

If I were to meet someone this weekend, say at an undisclosed desert location, and they were to give me a copy of Windows XP that they made, would that be considered a violation of © law? I don't need the key, I just need the disk, I have a valid key for the software, I just lost the CD.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:38 pm

What would you do if you had a four-year-old eMachine?
Whiner. Most of my office machines are considerably older than that!
F1Addict wrote:If I were to meet someone this weekend, say at an undisclosed desert location, and they were to give me a copy of Windows XP that they made, would that be considered a violation of © law? I don't need the key, I just need the disk, I have a valid key for the software, I just lost the CD.
Then you'll need that $50 you don't have for gasoline ;) I could mail you one but all I have is Service Pack 1, your key most likely wouldn't match, and mine would give you the same "Purchase or die!" messages that it gives me. Anybody have a SP2 disc we can, uh, demo? I can give you a Windows 98 install though. It's small enough to download too.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 pm

As long as the XP installed on the eMachine is NOT been made unique, by Microsoft, any XP CD that is a match WILL work. The CD code just matches OEM vs. Retail vs. "Made for Dell" vs " Made for eMachines " ( If there IS one ) or even XP Pro vs. XP vs. XP Home. If you have the sticker, which works as your Certificate of Authenticity , you are legal to get an copy of the Windows XP CD.

( Remote desert location. Two black cars with smoke windows. Men in suits come out and exchange briefcases and walk away. )

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:50 pm

I just upgraded to SP2 and am not opposed to reverting back to SP1, if necessary, then upgrading (again) to SP2, if that's possible. The CD key that I have is for the original operating system, which was XP SP1.
Remote desert location. Two black cars with smoke windows. Men in suits come out and exchange briefcases and walk away.
More like one ancient Audi with very little paint remaining, one minivan, one kid and four adults.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:57 pm

So today I get this...
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x003E003E, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804DC25D)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
I know the best solution is to reload XP but we still have to find the stupid disc. I think someone asked but I'm not sure if I ever answered or answered correctly, the she has XP Home and as I said, it was originally SP1 but I updated a few months ago to SP2 when Microsoft suggested that I do so.

There is no new software installed on this machine and there is no new hardware installed and there hasn't been since we began having these problems. I went to msconfig and disabled everything Norton that I could find, along with some other startup apps that I either couldn't identify or knew were not necessary.

Could I install a new hard drive, load XP and use her current HD as a slave so that I'll have access to all of the applications that reside on that drive without having to use that particular Windows load?

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Since it will boot in "Safe Mode" , at least I think you said it would, you may want to try getting to the F8 menu, prior to windows loading and choose to boot in logged mode. Windows will then create a bootlog.txt file in the root directory and it will show a list of the drivers that DID load correctly and which ones failed to load.

I think my dad MAY have a computer with XP home on it. I'll check.

Coopster

Post by Coopster » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:02 pm

ah you got a stop code!

check this out

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

maybe that will help

*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:37 pm

F1Addict wrote:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
You are flogging a dead horse, my friend. It's time to move on.
Could I install a new hard drive, load XP and use her current HD as a slave so that I'll have access to all of the applications that reside on that drive without having to use that particular Windows load?
No more than you can transplant your brain into a goat and have it recite the periodic table. (See above.)

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:08 pm

I'm getting a Mac.
Why do you drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:56 am

Ha, ha.....

Actually, YES, you can have both HDs but you will not be able to run the applications, for the most part. The data you can get to.