Cedega & RFactor

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

Knightrousoxide

Cedega & RFactor

Post by Knightrousoxide » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 pm

I know my chances are very slim, but does anyone here by any minute chance happen to run Linux and use the Cedega Gaming Engine to play RFactor?

I managed to install it, it right up to 100%, but then it hangs while it removes a temp .dll file.....

I abandoned Windows late last year for Ubuntu 6.06 (now on 6.10 Edgy) and would really like to get RFactor to run in Cedega instead of setting up another drive with Windoze :x

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:10 pm

Still out on the creative edge , aren't you, Knightrous. :)

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:52 am

Lookz like Windoze is beating your Linux box, dude. Come back to standardisation and be like us :twisted:

Hynee
Judging Panel Member

Post by Hynee » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:48 am

Good luck!
||||||| Hynee |||||||

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:02 pm

I can play Battlefield 2 in Linux without any hassles 8)

Just that because RFactor isn't a game that installs from a CD, it's a little different to complete the installation in Cedega.
Lookz like Windoze is beating your Linux box, dude. Come back to standardisation and be like us
Standardisation? You mean, the standards of a single company that wants to control what you do on your computer and charge your money for it ::): I :) at M$ standards... DRM can kiss my spoiler! Ubuntu for the win :D

Windows... A 32bit shell for a 16bit OS built on an 8bit processor using a 4bit bus by a 2bit company that doesn't like 1bit of competition ::):

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:15 pm

While I'm on a rampage ::):

Why pay $400 for Vista for some eye candy that requires 2Gb RAM to function properly, when you can get the same eye candy on a Linux box (Running Beryl) for free and run it on a 800mhz P3 computer ::):

Some snappy shots using Beryl to imitate Vista Aero.

Bendy Windows when you drag them around the desktop - http://crystalnode.net/images/bendywindow.png
3D Desktop - http://crystalnode.net/images/cubed.png
Window Previews - http://crystalnode.net/images/Screenshot.png

Will also get some of the minimise/maximise animation that makes my windows burst into flames and turn to ashes :D

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:16 pm

Linux...don't be a sheep...spend 3 weeks trying to get your sound card to talk to your API...get support from a guy called dEVnULL in Khasakstan because his brother wrote part of your kernel. Now you're beating the big corporation! ;)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 pm

I like independent thinking. Go for it, Knightrous !

Hynee
Judging Panel Member

Post by Hynee » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:02 pm

I have a strong feeling that Battlefield 2 works out of the box because the dev team at Cedega have tested it and coded in tweaks/settings that Cedega must use to make it work. If you try rFactor, you'll have to discover all these tweaks yourself. If you do though, chances are rF will keep on working through versions changes, with only tweaks.
||||||| Hynee |||||||

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:00 am

Ultimo_Posto wrote:Linux...don't be a sheep...spend 3 weeks trying to get your sound card to talk to your API...get support from a guy called dEVnULL in Khasakstan because his brother wrote part of your kernel. Now you're beating the big corporation! ;)
Actually, with Ubuntu, I didn't have any troubles with any of my hardware. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to get my computer the way I like it with Windows, but with Ubuntu, I had it installed and all my drivers up to day in 40mins.

No need to install my motherboard drivers, sound drivers, video drivers, monitor drivers... It did them all and the USB 2.0 actually works... Windows XP says it has the USB 2.0 patch installed, but it barly pulls 4mb/sec transfer of files, Ubuntu averages 12mb/sec to my flash drive 8)

Need Nvidia drivers for Ubuntu? Open ternimal, type "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common" then within 60 seconds, your drivers are downloaded, installed and rockin 8)

Windows it's, go to nvidia site, find the one that suits your card, download it from a slow assed server, install them, answer 30 questions, reboot, re adjust all your resolution and settings... 15 mins at least...

U_P, I think your misinformed and just following stereotypes ::): Bit like how all Scotsmen are hairy, skirt wearin ladies that can't drive :wink:

With my experiences with Ubuntu, I get decent support from people who are interested in helping you, and it doesn't cost me $65/hr ::): With Windows, most support answers involve "Format" or "Upgrade"

Linux is for people that want to know why their computer works
Mac is for people that don't want to know why their computer works
DOS is for people that wants to know why their computer doesn't work
Windows is for people that don't want to know why their computer doesn't work.

8)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:44 pm

But Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD, so how does that change your list ? :)

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:29 pm

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common
It will take me 15 minutes to type that!

And it's not a stereotype if you've experienced it ;)

Hynee
Judging Panel Member

Post by Hynee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:56 pm

I tried the Ubuntu live CD, and I was shocked that the screen worked fine, and I could connect to the internet with little or no configuration. They've certainly done a proper job on it. I haven't tried doing an upgrade with Ubuntu yet (I have it installed in Virtual PC, but it doesn't work properly yet), but things like the Red Hat upgrade system (YUM I think) were dog sh*t.
Linux is for people that want to know why their computer works
So, has Ubuntu let you learn about the intricacies of Linux? Have you installed/configured daemons (=windows services), setup cron jobs, perhaps to defrag, compiled a program from scratch?

I managed to upgrade my kernel on an old install, I went from 2.4 -> 2.6 IIRC, and had to compile in FAT32 support so I could download stuff from windows, then grab it from a FAT32 partition in Linux. Compiling a kernel was one of the few things that was nice on old Linux.
||||||| Hynee |||||||

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:29 pm

but things like the Red Hat upgrade system (YUM I think) were dog sh*t.
I use APT :)
So, has Ubuntu let you learn about the intricacies of Linux? Have you installed/configured daemons (=windows services), setup cron jobs, perhaps to defrag, compiled a program from scratch?
I have a lot of stuff to learn yet, but I've had to do a fair bit of work from CLI to get various things to work. Like to get my 250Gb NTFS drive to work correctly and to build all my patitions. nano /etc/fstab here, a bit of sudo gpart there. I've learnt a lot of interesting things. I believe what I've learnt in Linux in 5 months, it took me roughly 4 years to do in Windows.

I've so far setup NTFS-3g so I can access my NTFS drives and read/write, compiled PlaneShift (MMORPG) from source, installed VMWare and configured from tar packages, done all the configurations on it, changed my DNS settings to work more reliable with my crap router (Now go directly to OpenDNS) and I've done some SSH and even some reverse SSH with a friend (Involved me SSH'ing into his server, then him traversing into my system to help me out with a few things.)

Cron is something I haven't found an actually use for it yet. But I'll workout something eventually :) I was always a big windows fan, but Ubuntu blew me out of the water and I was converted (I bought Mandriva PowerPack with the built in VMWare, LinDVD and Cedega setup, and gave up as it was too complicated).

Next project is to build a router to out of a P166 using a compact flash card as storage and IPCop installed on it 8) Oh, and to start teaching myself Python.

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:31 pm

JohnW wrote:But Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD, so how does that change your list ? :)
And Windows Spawned from OS2 :)