Outlook

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

F1Addict

Outlook

Post by F1Addict » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:47 pm

For some reason, my Outlook stopped working. It hangs at send/receive and when I go into Tools/Options/Mail Setup/ and click on the Test Account Settings, it says...
Errors: Establish network connection: Unable to connect to the Internet or to the network. Please verify the connection settings. To access the connection settings close this dialog, click More Settings, then click on the Connections tab.
I did that and "Connect using my local area network (LAN)" was checked.

I haven't made any changes to this account or setup, ever, so I don't know why it just stopped working.

There is an option below that says "Connect using my phone line", when I check that box, the "Modem" Menu becomes available and the modem listed is ATT DSL. When I test the account settings with this checked I get
Establish Network Connection: Complete
Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Complete
Find incoming mail server (POP3): Complete
Long onto incoming mail server (POP3): Failed
Send test e-mail message: Failed

Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these setting s close this dialog, then click on more settings and click on the advanced tab.

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these setting s close this dialog, then click on more settings and click on the advanced tab.
Any ideas? This is for my f1addict account.
Why do you drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:51 pm

A Windows update was allowed on your computer ? :)

Normally, I say if it can FIND your mail server, but can not send or recieve, I'd verify your account name and password. Or Firewall. Or Anti-Virus software. All of which COULD block things. Scaning for malware would be good too. When oddthings happen suddenly, And no changes have been made, I always scan for crap, first.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:49 pm

I always have problems with Outlook or the FiHS mail server. They are random and often resolve themselves.

I've never gotten this error, though. At least I don't think so.

My account information and password are correct (unless there has been changes in our mail service recently).

I did a full system scan (Norton) and nothing was found, my Norton is up to date.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 am

Is the Outlook Express or Outlook ?

At any rate, one thing I do is try another mail program. Like Mozilla Thunderbird ( free ) and see if it has the same problem. If it does, you know the issue is probably not on your computer. If it doesn't have the same problem, then it's a glitch in Outlook.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:44 am

FiHS mail is a waste of time. I stopped using it years ago.

Hynee
Judging Panel Member

Post by Hynee » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:30 pm

Mine hasn't worked for ~2 weeks, so I'll ask tech help about it.
||||||| Hynee |||||||

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:38 pm

FiHS mail is a waste of time. I stopped using it years ago.
That's nice, but I use it every day.
Is the Outlook Express or Outlook ?
Outlook

I've gotten it to the point where it will send and it doesn't hang at send/receive, but it is doing something weird. On the receive side, it says..
Receiving message 1 of 9 (2.63KB of 16.9MB)
In the time it's taken me to write this it's jumped to 2.81KB of 16.9MB. When it first started out, it actually said 3B of 16.9MB and seemed to be moving in 3 to 6 BIT packets. I didn't know that computers could go that slow?

Now, when I hit the check account settings I get this...
Establish Network Connection: Complete
Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Complete
Find incoming mail server (POP3): Complete
Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Complete
Send test e-mail message: Complete
Which makes it look like everything is fine, but it's not.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:41 pm

Hynee wrote:Mine hasn't worked for ~2 weeks, so I'll ask tech help about it.
The last message I received was on Monday, Feb. 26. That message had an embedded picture so there was some size to it. From what I recall, it downloaded normally.

I sent a message this morning, again with an embedded picture, and it went out just fine.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:54 pm

JohnW wrote:one thing I do is try another mail program. Like Mozilla Thunderbird
OK, I tried Mozilla and when I clicked the "Get Mail" button it spun it's wheels for a while (at the bottom left it said it was connected to the FiHS mail server but then, about 30 seconds later, it popped up an error message that said "connection to the fihs mail server timed out".

When directed, I copied all of my stuff over from Outlook (address book, inbox, outbox, and so on). It was supposed to copy my account settings as well but it didn't appear to do so. So, I input them manually however, there was no field for my password.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:55 pm

My dad actually filled up his inbox. That's 2GB of files. No more room to recieve messages.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:36 pm

A couple weeks ago I went through and weeded out about 200, bringing me down to 167 in my inbox. So, I don't think it could be full when it was working normally with almost 400 messages and now has much fewer.

And yes, I did empty the deleted items folder after removing them from my inbox. I also stay on top of the other folders pretty well, I have 10 in my sent items, 2 in antispam, and nothing in my junkmail or outbox.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:29 pm

Dad had 4924 files.

And you are correct, Thunderbird does make you fill in the password every time. I guess you can't steal what isn't stored !

So, Thunderbird connected but timed out...hmmm. Almost like the server is not responding at all. Not, " User name incorrect " or " Incorrect password " .

Well, the next thing is to get a free hotmail account for test purposes. If Outlook works with Hotmail ( or the freebee of your choice ), then the fihs e-mail server must be messed up.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 pm

It never asked for my password, perhaps it wasn't able to make it to that point in the fish mail server. I assume that at some point, a window would pop up and say "Enter Password:__________". Maybe that means that there is something wrong with the fihs mail server, considering Hynee is having problems as well.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Probably so.

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:07 am

Did your recently upgrade to Internet Exploder 7? There have been a few local companies here that I have spoken to that have had issues with clients getting mail from their servers with Outlook and it turns out to be caused by IE7. If they uninstall it IE7 and put IE6 back in, things go back to normal. I don't know why this would affect your mail, but having heard the same thing from so many people, I can't ignore it.

I run Linux with Thunderbird and Firefox, so no hassles to me 8)