Outlook

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm

IE 7 is different, to be sure. I just never knew MS would give you an uninstaller !
Last edited by JohnW on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:15 am

I installed IE7 around Christmas time. If this is an issue that exposes itself in time then that could be it but my Outlook worked for a couple months with IE7 before I started having this problem.
Why do you drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?

Knightrousoxide

Post by Knightrousoxide » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:49 pm

It might be a security patch / hotfix associated with IE7 that causes the problem, maybe not IE7 itself.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:48 pm

That could be as well. We've had some computers get BSoD after a MS patch. So, an e-mail program problem is not out of the question.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 am

If it was a patch or update, it was done automatically because I haven't performed any updates. And if that is the case, I would have a hard time identifying it and reverting back to a previous version... other than to simply remove IE7 and go back to IE6.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:53 pm

If you have auto updates turned on, you would never know it was installed. My dad had IE 7 show up on his computer with out any warning. MS labled IE7 and a "critical update" and many people have those updates install automatically.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:30 pm

From IE4 onwards, IE updates have really been disguised service packs. After all, MS claimed after bundling IE for free to defeat Netscape that it was integral to the OS. I allowed IE7 onto my laptop but I won't let it on any of the other machines, which for some reason don't pass the WGA test.

Hynee
Judging Panel Member

Post by Hynee » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:13 am

F1Addict wrote:And if that is the case, I would have a hard time identifying it and reverting back to a previous version... other than to simply remove IE7 and go back to IE6.
You should try that, you can easily reinstall.
U_P wrote:From IE4 onwards, IE updates have really been disguised service packs.
IE7 is worthy of whole new version number, lots of new/desperately needed features.
||||||| Hynee |||||||

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am

But it affects the OS fundamentally, so it's not a broswer update. It's an OS update.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:24 pm

Yeah. That's right. An OS update. Sure.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Sarcasm?

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Before I go through uninstalling IE7, I'd like to get Mozilla to work. I'm still having problems with the setup where it's telling me that it's not able to connect to the server. It has yet to ask me for a password. I can't imagine that IE7 is causing a problem in both applications.

So, anyone familiar with Mozilla Thunderbird and it's setup, please let me know if you have any idea what I'm doing wrong... Wait!

As I was writing this I opened Thunderbird to check the settings and it asked me for a password! I entered what I thought was my password and it came back with "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server responded: Login failed."

I'm assuming that this means that I've entered the password incorrectly. I haven't had to enter it in so long that I don't remember what it is. It has the correct number of digits for what I thought it was but that isn't working.
Last edited by F1Addict on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1Addict

Post by F1Addict » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Now it's not asking for my password anymore but it's still not connecting. I didn't tell it to remember my password so I should have to enter it every time. Now it just says that it timed out connecting to the mail server. :roll:

Hynee
Judging Panel Member

Post by Hynee » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Ultimo_Posto wrote:But it affects the OS fundamentally, so it's not a broswer update. It's an OS update.
OK, I thought you meant there were no new features and they were merely bug fixes, but you're saying they were more important than feature upgrades.
||||||| Hynee |||||||

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:49 pm

I don't know about more important, but the changes are much further reaching than the IE7 feature list. It's certainly a browser update, but they rewrite and add so much underlying code that you effectively have a different OS after you install it. I Googled "IE7 problems" and found that it is breaking a lot of apps (and OSes), which didn't happen when IE3 came out, but it has happened ever since. I tried to install MSN Messenger on a fresh Windows 98 the other day, and it failed because it said IE6 was required. Why would one app depend on another app unless it's linked to the OS? No app ever said "Incorrect version of Photoshop." The browser is the OS, more or less, and so it's misleading to label it as just a browser update, especially when it does as much damage as this.