Headphones

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

Koolbrown
Site Admin

Headphones

Post by Koolbrown » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Just curious how many other people use headphones.

I bought an expesive pair of headphones a few weeks ago and I am noticing sounds when I drive that I never heard before. Its a huge difference of audio clues that I never even knew I was missing before.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:23 pm

I use headphones, during the race, for Teamspeak. Otherwise my teammate has all the game noises on top of my voice, if I just used a mic.

I have some Sennheiser headphones for music, but that doesn't work for Teamspeaking.

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 pm

I've been racing with a set of Razor headphones for about 3 or 4 years now. They fit very comfy as well. I've only raced with them the past 2 years though. I was only using them for 1st person shooters and when my wife was sleeping. Now I just use them all the time.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:05 am

A bit too spendy for me.

I think mine are under $20.

Sebastian Scott

Post by Sebastian Scott » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:01 am

Since I've started racing with you guys I have used headphones. Racing sounds booming out at 2am isn't generally appreciated by the misses!

Does that headphone setup work on xbox as well Josh? I want to get a headphone/mic setup for when I'm playing FPS games.
The unofficial after midnight driving champion

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 am

Sebastian Scott wrote:Since I've started racing with you guys I have used headphones. Racing sounds booming out at 2am isn't generally appreciated by the misses!

Does that headphone setup work on xBox as well Josh? I want to get a headphone/mic setup for when I'm playing FPS games.
If the xBox has the phone jacks like on the back of your PC (A lime green and peach colored port) then, yes. But I don't have an xBox, PS3 guy :)

I think you could try a phone-jack-to-USB adapter and see if the xBox recognizes that? Something like this, http://www.amazon.com/External-Channel- ... 937&sr=1-3

There are thousands to choice from and they are relatively cheap. I've been thinking of getting one for my PS3.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

Koolbrown
Site Admin

Post by Koolbrown » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 am

My headphones are Steelseries and like Josh I actually only bought them for Call of Duty. It was purely accidental that I discovered they could be very helpful in racing.

The ones I have are made for Xbox but work fine for PC as well. Very handy indeed. They even have a feature for voice over that dims the sounds of the game slightly when teammates are speaking so they dont get lost in the background noise

I cant wait to try them out this season will teamspeak. Should be fun.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 pm

John,

For a guy who has no problem spending ridiculous money on outdated film - you won't spend more then 20 bucks on headphones??? This is your ears ya know!!!

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:08 pm

I pick my expenditures carefully.

The sound coming out of rFactor is pretty much loud engine noise. Somehow, I doubt high fidelity is required. My Sennheiser headphones are for music ( or movies when the family is asleep ) plugged into my old Carver receiver.

That out of date film is the best resolution I can get, and still use my lenses, without spending $1200 and up for a Nikon DSLR. I can use a lot of slide film and not spend 1200 bucks. Still, this might be the year I take the plunge.

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Re:

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:49 pm

JohnW wrote:The sound coming out of rFactor is pretty much loud engine noise.
Plus tyre squeal which tells you how hard the tyres are working, plus sound from nearby vehicles which tells you how close they are and whether they are left or right of you. Good headphones will always outperform good speakers because smaller drivers can convey more detail. It's just a matter of physics. However, good speakers can outperform bad headphones. I just got these for my studio: http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers They have almost as much resolution as my $300 Sennheisers but they are better than $50 headphones and better than $50-100 computer speakers. My burning question is: is a 5.1 or 7.1 setup supported by the software enough to present a realistic soundstage front to back, ie. will it convey whether a car is behind or in front of you?

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Re: Headphones

Post by JohnW » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:18 am

I kinda doubt rFactor from 2005 was designed for 7.1 surround sound. I haven't looked, but I doubt it.

Because of using Team Speak, I tend you use headphones with a mic. Just a simple pair of plantronics.