Windows 7 and gaming

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Windows 7 and gaming

Post by JohnW » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:08 pm

I am planing to build or buy a computer for my kid, so I can have MINE back. ( I made the mistake of downloading Portal and then Portal 2 on my computer and now he's hooked ! )

His current PC is my old Win 98 box, and has no web connection. It works fine for much of his stuff, but not for anything new.

I was looking at a Dell Inspiron 570 that comes with Win 7 Home Premium, but I wasn't sure what I would lose , so I looked up a comparison chart and found " XP mode " requires Premium... Then it's 32 bit vs 64 bit... For a kids basic gaming needs , which version of Win 7 is going to be best ? If I bundle in an AMD X2 processor do I need 64 bit ? Will not having XP mode be a problem ?

Point me in the right direction .

Dave Carney

Post by Dave Carney » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:21 am

build your own computer I use win 7 64 bit home edition intel icore 7 sabre tooth MB evga gtx 470 vid 6GB DDR5 ram.. it rocks!

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:40 pm

My kid doesn't need the full bore computer ! I'd just give him mine, and build a new one for myself. Who knows what rFactor 2 will make me do.

I went ahead on the Dell, which after Discover card cash back ( 15% ) and Dell discount ( 5% ) comes out to about $300 before Ca state tax. It comes with Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig hard drive, 3 Ghz AMD X2, some Intel built on Radeon 4200, etc. I don't think I could build it for that. If I need more RAM, which I might, with Win 7, it's cheap enough these days.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:51 am

IMO, your going to save huge on buying a ready made one. Dell has some good deals on, and they are ideal for what he needs. I wouldn't analzyze the whole 'how do i run THIS if it can't go to xp mode' too much only because a lot of companies out there have gone through the initial stages of updates to help their programs run smoothly for Win7. I think I was one of the first having Win7 and running in the league and yes their was some initial issues but all in all it runs pretty slick. We just picked the kids up their own netbooks for xmas which IMO again, is something ideal for what they need it for.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:52 pm

He has the Roller Coaster Tycoon set of games on his old PC. Some forum searches made me think I might need the "XP Mode" thing. I'll find out on Christmas, when I have to make it work.

Thanks, Mark, for the input.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 am

JohnW wrote:He has the Roller Coaster Tycoon set of games on his old PC. Some forum searches made me think I might need the "XP Mode" thing. I'll find out on Christmas, when I have to make it work.

Thanks, Mark, for the input.
That part of it is easy John. You just have to right click the game app and select running it in XP mode, and all of the Win 7 formats I believe have that option.

Juice

Post by Juice » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:23 am

John, is the new rig for you or your boy?

My take, go W7 it will work for 99% of things just fine.

Build vs buy? I would build to have full access to bios adjustments and no additional unnecessary software OEM's add to the operating system. It's just crap you don't need, but it can be removed. If its primarily a gaming pc, lean & mean is the way to go.

If you must buy, atleast get a pc that has a video card and not onboard video. You NEVER get a good enough card, and will likely end up upgrading the video card. And with the better cards needing more power, you may need a better power supply.

If you need XP, it can be as simple as adding a second harddrive and use the system board's hardware boot options and dual boot. (I don't like software based boot managers or having 2 operating systems on one harddrive.) Rfactor does seem to run better in XP comp mode on W7.

And last, not to sound corny or anything, but you get what you pay for. A good deal on price isn't so good if the rig cant run your favorite program/sim/game.

I have come to the following conclusions as far as racing games go:
1 need good frame rates = a good video card
2 need memory speed (fsb) this shouldn't be an issue now with any pc
3 higher the CPU speed, the lower the input lag. If you are interested in the technical reason for #3, see here http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 pm

It's for my 11 year old. Except for Portal and Portal 2, he's fine with his Win 98 PC. The Dell won't be a world beater, but it will be much better than he has now.

Mark,

Per the Windows compare page at MS, the XP mode feature requires Win 7 Pro or better.

Juice

Post by Juice » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:31 am

Any pc you can buy today, will be far superior to a 98 machine. And if you get it at Best Buy, you have 15 days to return it unconditionally if it doesn't work out.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:16 am

JohnW wrote:Mark,

Per the Windows compare page at MS, the XP mode feature requires Win 7 Pro or better.
That can't be right, both our PC's run Home basic and Home Premium and I am able to adjust for XP mode on both machines. That is weird... :?

Juice

Post by Juice » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:37 am

MarkG wrote:
JohnW wrote:Mark,

That can't be right, both our PC's run Home basic and Home Premium and I am able to adjust for XP mode on both machines. That is weird... :?
I agree with Mark, I can't see MS not allowing some versions of Win7 to be backward compatible. What you will have to do though, is install Dx9c to run older games (even for rFactor)

stuff

Post by stuff » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 pm

All version of Win7 come with the backwards compatibility settings for programs, most things will work fine, occasionally some won't.

With pro or better you can download a winxp virtual machine (like VMware) from MS that actually runs a separate instance of windows xp, it's mainly intended for corporate customers with legacy programs and hardware that *really* aren't compatible.

Most games will work fine in Win7, for really old ones you can run them in something like dosbox.

Juice

Post by Juice » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:06 am

Just ran into some older games that will NOT run on W7 x64. Even if I chose "win95 comp mode", I still get a message to "contact software wendor for 64 bit version of program" :), yea, ok.... Microsoft Arcade... I wanted to blast some Asteroids, won't run. :(

Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:22 am

Just found out that Windows Live Messenger will not work with XP64. Microsoft. Their left hand is not compatible with their right hand.

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:23 am

those games are so old you can most likely find them as a flash game on a some game site with your w7 running Internet Explorer, problem solved :P
Last edited by JoshJ81 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012