Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

Josf

Freeze Frames Stutters

Post by Josf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Delete these files before starting a session of rFactor:

C:\Program Files\rFactor\Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_Josf

C:\Program Files\rFactor\Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_Josf.rmx

For some reason those files fill up and bottle neck data to a point where you want to throw your computer through the window if you do not delete them periodically, so keep those files off your hard drive if you want a smooth race.

When the official race is over those files can be sent to John instead of being deleted, after the official race, and John can check to see if you used both compounds of tires during the race according to the rules, OTHERWISE delete those files before starting a practice session because those files may do what they do on my computer on your computer and those files if they fill up will bring your graphics card to its knees and then on into the grave.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Re: Freeze Frames Stutters

Post by JohnW » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Few people with have these files as I have only handed out the newer tire check dll to a few test subjects. I do find it odd that simply having the text files in the root of rFactor would have any effect. I haven't run into that myself and I've had that plugin on my rig all season. I know I did not practice as much as you did, Josf, but my files were only 8 K in size. How big were yours ? Obviously, you can delete these files up until the race sessions start. I just can't fathom any connection to having them on the computer and poor performance.

Josf

Post by Josf » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:26 am

John,

I did not yet empty the recycle bin so i can try (when getting around to it) testing to see if returning the same files 44.0 kb each to see if my computer returns to preforming like an old commodore, and then I can take them out to see if my computer magically turns back into a modern second line gaming rig, put them back in, back to the toilet, take them out, back into a playable racing simulator.

In the last desperate moments before having my computer thrown out the window those 2 files were deleted and the car was suddenly not coming apart visually even in the garage before exiting onto pit straight, missing the nose section, with only suspension bars visible because the computer could not draw (or graphically render) the image of the body work.

I didn't have time to make sure that was the culprit by returning those 44.0 kb (on disc?) files, which are now back in the folder, these being the other files earlier deleted, not the one's sent to you after the race. I probably should not have shot my mouth off without making sure that there were not other combinations of setting involved, which is possible, it was a mad scramble at that point, after having failed to Update Asus BIOS on-line and other tail chasing stuff before race time.

I'd start it up now, but it would be missing the wheel, and I don't have the time or energy right now to hook that up too. Reporting back later, and thanks for the race, it was a blast, worth the effort.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:49 am

Hmmm.

I've been thinking about it, over night. The sim opens and closes these files as many as 90 times per second. ( telemetry updates ). It could be that as the file grows the time required for the OS to do this gets logarithmically longer. However, in development, I had a LOT more info being written to the files, and I didn't recall any frame rate drop, unless it was at the beginning , when the sample file output EVERYTHING possible to a console screen. THAT really dropped the sim to a crawl. It wasn't saving to a text file, just pushing it to a DOS screen.

I would suggest , just to be sure, that when I had this out all driver should delete the tire check files after each time you practice.

Josf

Post by Josf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Anyone,

I went to the Severer to start work on Monza and the Belgium track was still loaded onto the Server so I ran a practice race to see if the Screen Freezes returned and they did, and the 44Kb Files were placed back into the rFactor root directory from the Trash Bin were they are stored after deleting them from the root directory.

So, upon discovering that the screen freezes are back I existed the game and the only thing I did was to delete those 2 tire data files from the root directory and upon restarting the game I found no problems with low frame rates or screen freezes.

For my computer and rFactor with this Mod and the tire checking software I have: it is conclusive that the tire usage data files in the root directory must be deleted before they grow to the size of 44.O KB because failure to delete these files before they grow too big, on my system, results in very, very, very low frame rates and screen freezes that make the simulation NOT a simulation at all.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 pm

The trials of computer programming. Have you tried the version that does NOT encrypt the text file as well ? The encryption does it on the fly, not at the end of the session and it has to do this to the WHOLE file each time. That way it's there, even of the game crashes and you don't leave the session properly. Not that you need to, since you have this sorted out, but I would be curious.

Thanks for debugging this, Josf.

Josf

Post by Josf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:58 am

John,

I feel very fortunate in being able to contribute to something that I think is worth joining.

I need more detailed instruction concerning how to test the NON encrypting version of the tire checking App since the process of loading and unloading fresh installs of the game has undergone a change from an older to a newer installation of my O.S. onto my PC. (including another hard drive), and the process is confusing, to me, on a good day.

I can remove specific files and load specific files in a rational order to complete the test without introducing other steps that alter the results, so please consider writing a test procedure and post it here, or e-mail, so I can proceed according to those specific instructions (as you have already done in the past, step by step, to leave less room for error).

I don't remember where to go, at this time, to find the NON encrypting version - for example.

Oh, and I checked the replay to see who was gaining on me between the first and second pit stop, in the last race (Belgium), and it was you, and you and I could have had a fight going had you not overcooked the hairpin turn exit in your zeal to catch me exiting the pits.

Monza is a racers track (not so much a car against the track type track, more a driver against another driver track), almost an Oval by Formula 1 standards, so we may find each other in the same bracket again, racing each other again, and it may be an even closer race to the finish?

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 pm

I may not have sent you a copy of it. Check your e-mail, and I'll have it waiting for you.

Josf

Post by Josf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:10 pm

John,

The new plugin now generates only one text file in the rFactor root directory and so far there is no Freeze Frame Stutters, and I even turned up every video setting to max.

My attendance for the race tonight will be tight, arriving close to start time, and I'll delete that text file now so as not to forget later, just in case the file will get too big - it is only 6.7kb after a few hours of racing on 2 or 3 days.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Yep. That's a "beta" version of my plugin. Just 1 text file.