rFactor 2 and your computer

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

rFactor 2 and your computer

Post by JohnW » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Since rFactor 2 is one of the possible changes for next season, I thought I would look up the specs to see how my rig stacks up. Am I going to be REQUIRED to upgrade or will I be OK ? I think most of us want to know.

Min Spec:
CPU: 2.4 Ghz Core 2

Recommended Spec:
3.0 Ghz Core 2

My Spec:
2.66 Ghz Core 2

Whats that mean as far as a performance difference ? I looked up the charts here, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and looked them up

Min spec benchmark = 1655 , Rec Benchmark = 1694, My benchmark = 1676. I'm at 98% of the recommended for CPU. I think I'm good for a CPU.

Next, RAM.

Min = 2GB, Recommended = 4+, and my spec = 4GB ( Win XP only shows 3.5 GB ) . I think I'm OK there.

Video Card,

Min: Nvidia 8600 ( 256Mb )
Recommended: Nvidia 250GTS
My Spec: Radeon 5700

How do these line up on performance ? You can find out here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Min: 232, Rec: 1075, My Card: 974
That puts me at 90% of the Recommended. It could be I'm not going to run everything at max levels. Only trying out the sim will answer that. Still, I'm closer to the good end than the bad end of the scale.

OS Spec:

Min: XP or Vista or Win 7 32 bit
Recommended: Vista 64 or Win 7 64

I would guess that the ability to access 4GB or ram or more is where the 64 bit OS choice comes in. How big of a memory hog will rF2 be and will the 4 Gig barrier be a real need ? Don't know. I could put a secondary HD in my computer and buy Win 7 64 ( $139 from NewEgg.com for the Pro 64 bit, OEM version ) and find out, if it comes to that.

On the surface, it looks like I may be OK for rFactor 2. Only a real world test with other real cars will tell the real story.

How do you stack up ?