Build a racing pedal platform

Got a problem with your sim software or your PC? Start here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Build a racing pedal platform

Post by JohnW » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Some time during the last racing season, I bought a new desk chair to race in, and for general computer use. I tried lots of chairs at all the major office supply stores and picked one that felt firm but comfortable. I got it home, put it together and found ... it didn't sit as low, at the lowest setting as my other one, and the angle of my feet on my G25 pedals didn't feel right ! So... I built a pedal platform to raise my pedals up but still keep them from moving. You just need some wood, some carpet scraps, and some carpet tack strips.

I'll post some pictures and how to steps in a few days. It didn't cost much and it works great.

Stay tuned.....

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Re: Build a racing pedal platform

Post by JohnW » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Here are the pics...

The finished platform. I had some carpet scraps I could cut a section out of to give the pedals something to grip, as if they were still on the floor. I'm sure a simple bath mat from the store would work. Make sure it's thick like real carpet. See why, below.

It's basically a pair of 2X4s screwed to some planks for the base. I used a 2 X 6 for two of them and fit in another 2 X 4 to fill the gap. The dimensions you use need to fit your pedals. Mine is a Logitech G25. I think I used 16" lengths. If I had it to do over, I would have added a few inches, as the pedals are exactly the same length and I might want more room for my heels.

To keep in from moving on the carpet, Logitech puts a strip of grippers on the bottom of the pedal platform, but putting this thing in the way takes those away from my floor, so I screwed on some "tack strip". You can get that from any building supply place in the carpet installation area. I predrilled the holes for the screws so the strip wouldn't split the wood.

Do NOT use this if you have a non carpet floor ! They are very sharp and will scratch anything you put it on.

This shows how it fits with my G25 pedals

If you find you need the pedals up higher than the 1.5" I gained from this design, just either raise the planks up a bit, before screwing it together or, just flip it over and install the carpet on the other side. If you wanted to be real slick, maybe mount the base planks at an angle to change the angle of the pedals.

It was a quick build and it helped get the pedals up when my new chair wouldn't go down as far as my old one. I hope it works for you or gives you a better idea.