2020 Winter Series

Discussion/Results for our come-as-you-are competitions.

Moderators: Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81, JohnW

Higpup

Re: 2020 Winter Series

Post by Higpup » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am

I assume the server was set last night after Radical races, to Corvette pack you have to pay for? I got the package unavailable thing, but the server still said Radical for me. I was done for the night anyway.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Bill W

Post by Bill W » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 pm

JohnW wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:52 pm
How often do you check the forum ?
Probably not often enough. I'm OK with some emails. Maybe to get things going when something changes. I'm also on Discord, so if someone replies there I will see it too.
In racing, you can only lose time. You cannot "make-up" time.

Bill W

Post by Bill W » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Higpup wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am
I assume the server was set last night after Radical races, to Corvette pack you have to pay for? I got the package unavailable thing, but the server still said Radical for me. I was done for the night anyway.
Yes, it was changed to the Corvette at Riverside. Technically you could just buy the Corvette, but it's over $5 for the car and you can get the GT3 Pack for just over $8 when it's on sale.

Is it that you don't like Corvette or you just don't want to buy any of the DLC?

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Post event chat.

I had the race server given a clean sweep after the last F1 race, and it's amazing the thing you forget had to be SET in the way we are used to. Like creating an Admin password, adding the second practice session, and making sure the race start time was not at 2...AM ! Luckily, the Tatuus cars have nice bright headlights ! I kinda' liked the night time drive.

They are fun to drive, and I think the length of Road America, with only 5 cars allowed for too much distance between cars after 5 laps or so. The next track will be shorter. Either "Sears Point" , now known as Sonoma or Mid-Ohio, I think. Still trying to figure out how to sneak Riverside in the mix.

Next up we will be running a sports car of some sort, like the Callaway Corvette , or if not enough were willing to pay for it, an alternate. Since I paid for it, I darn well am going to schedule SOME event to use them. Maybe a Daytona "endurance" style , but not so long, event.

I need to get input on the car choice, as soon as I can. Please let me know if you have the car and what you've tried as an alternate. I will pick something, in the next day or so.

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:51 am

Bill W wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:13 pm
Higpup wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am
Yes, it was changed to the Corvette at Riverside. Technically you could just buy the Corvette, but it's over $5 for the car and you can get the GT3 Pack for just over $8 when it's on sale.

Is it that you don't like Corvette or you just don't want to buy any of the DLC?
I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm not going to spend $13 or more on a pack that I will only use a couple times.
Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 am

JohnW wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm

I need to get input on the car choice, as soon as I can. Please let me know if you have the car and what you've tried as an alternate. I will pick something, in the next day or so.
Can't you set the server to use any car, so some could get in and run the track? Just a thought for practice at least.
Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion

Bill W

Post by Bill W » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Higpup wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:51 am
I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm not going to spend $13 or more on a pack that I will only use a couple times.
$8.35 to be exact.
I don't blame you. I know I don't want to buy mods from these different modding groups. Especially since they're not licensed, they don't use the real names and there's nothing keeping them from abandoning it, which has happened in the past. Plus they could sell them through the rF2 store, if they worked on doing that.

I avoided buying most items until they were on sale and I'm going to try avoiding buying until I "need" them. I haven't even driven some of the cars, much less raced with them.
Higpup wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 am
JohnW wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Can't you set the server to use any car, so some could get in and run the track? Just a thought for practice at least.
Unfortunately, that's one of the issues with rF2's system with DLC, you have to own any car that the server is set to use. So if the server is set to use the Corvette from the GT3 Pack along with the free Taatus or Nissan, you have to own the Corvette from the GT3 Pack, which you can buy by itself or buy the entire pack.

And if the server is set to use all cars from the GT3 Pack, you have to own all the cars (or the pack) even if you only want to drive the Corvette, the Bentley, the McLaren 650s or the Mercedes AMG.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Since at least two of you are not going the DLC route, I need to pick a car. I'll see what's popular and give them a drive.

Bill W

Post by Bill W » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm

JohnW wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm
Since at least two of you are not going the DLC route, I need to pick a car. I'll see what's popular and give them a drive.
Who's the other. I've only seen Sean say he wasn't going to get it.

Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Hello
Well I did buy a couple things and I am looking forward to check them out. Even if I have to go offline.

And let me say this not out of anger or anything like.

But I will probably be a no show on Mondays it is a hard day for me to make anyway so don't change things for me.

Ruben M.
I Might not be fast but I am ahead of you :-)

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 pm

JohnW wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm
I can just skip the corvette races. If you decide to run another car like the radicals again, I'll be there.
Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 pm

I've tried just about all the tin tops in the workshop. I've decided to use this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... ext=Nissan

Nissan GTR 2011.

I'll get the server loaded tonight or tomorrow.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Server loaded.

Race on Monday 6:30. ( Sorry Ruben ).

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:17 pm

The GTRs were a fun car at Road America. Braking was a bit tricky and you could lock them up. The cars could get tail happy on corner exit, but controllable , for the most part. I think were guys got in trouble was going wide and losing the car on the grass. If you pushed, you would wear out the left front and end up going wide as well. I think the field stayed together more, with these cars. I suspect Ivan may have been able to check out, if he wanted to be all alone, but chose not to.

Still a fun car and track.

I'll pick the next track, tonight and load the server.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Glyn talked me into it.

Adelaide is the track. Street race, yes, but this track isn't that complicated and is wide for a street. Yep, still some 90 degree turns but not many.

Subscribe, here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... t=Adelaide