Looking to next season

The place where your 2013 successes and failures go to hide

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Looking to next season

Post by JohnW » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:46 pm

It is not yet clear which F1 racing sim we will be using for next year. There are things to consider before making that choice.

1) it would be best to select the sim that gives us the most drivers possible. We all want a full grid, and maybe people that have drifted off will be excited to drive something new.

2) Related to #1, the new sims will take more computer power. I think that is a given no matter what we choose. While it is possible we will stay with rFactor 1, if nothing good is finalized, to start the season, the goal is to be on the wave of the new stuff when it is ready.

3) What sim will have a full season of good, not buggy, tracks to race on ? I don't think anyone is a full schedule yet.

4) Server costs. The last time I checked with NRT Servers, the hosts we use, rFactor 2 had really heavy loads on the servers. To the point that they were going to charge $50 per month for hosting, since they can only put a few rFactor 2 races on each server. If that changes, it would really help. As most of you know, I fund the league out of my pocket. Donations are my only help. Currently, it costs $415 per year. Going to 50 bucks a month raises that to $600 per year. This is why I need as many guys on the grid as we can get. More drivers = more possible donations. NRT says as long as the sim has a dedicated server option, they will try out any sim we want. If you have been watching any new sims, over the year that look good, let me know. Find out of they are capable of server mode.

This is sort of a heads up. We have been discussing options in the forums and in the back offices. I would like more of YOUR input about what looks good and what sim we need to change to for 2013. Keep in mind all the things above. for instance, if we select the biggest, baddest sim, but only 5 guys have the computer power to run it, it may not be the best option.

Sebastian Scott

Re: Looking to next season

Post by Sebastian Scott » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 am

In regards to the pc performance issue, I think it should be said that peoples pc's will have to be a min spec of 'this' to run the league mod.

I understand that times are tough in the current economic environment and no everyone can afford an upgrade, however, for this league to return to what it was when I joined I think it needs to take this approach. There might have to be a 'PC Tech Support Section' in the forums for people who aren't geeks and don't have a clue where to start in upgrading. The off season has to be the time when people are looking at upgrading, not the week before the new season starts. Hey, why not treat yourself to an xmas present!

I've also got a logmein account and could drop onto peoples PC's if they ever needed help with installs n so on.

There are a few new mod's kicking about that seem to be further along and better than rF2. Have you looked at Project C.A.R.S? I've been keeping an eye on it and it seems very slick. Again, PC power may come into it.

Costs are unavoidable.. Maybe a player subscription or site sponsor?
The unofficial after midnight driving champion

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 am

Project CARS will cost to much and I believe it is a subscription. (Been awhile since I last looked at them, could be different now). Yes, it looks great but I think the end product will not be good enough to warrant this league running it. However, I will keep an eye on it.

I have been posting about Assetto Corsa and closely watching their progress. They have an F1 mod already in place and many other top tier racing mods and tracks fully licensed. The big plus with AC is that it is just like rFactor in that they are setup to allow 3rd party modder to make their stuff and release it to the public. This should be a rival for rFactor 2 if I am reading everything correctly. IMO, we cannot go wrong if there is competition among developers, we just have to pick the best one for us. Anyways, I think they (Assetto Corsa) are launching this year but no word as of yet, again they seem the closest.

rFactor 2 could be the best bet if they ever launch the damn thing... They will have a stock F1 mod at launch and there be at least 2 high class modding groups working on F1 mod (FSOne for sure) along with many tracks. But again, rF2 needs to drop already. BTW, I have not updated rF2 beta any, but I hear the F2 mod they released is the bomb!
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm

I'll post the specs of the two mods mentioned so far, as I find them.

Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Hello
I can only speak for RF 2
They have done a lot of updates and fixes somethings are still in the works.
But so far to me it is just awesome I have trouble going to RF 1 now.
It do's take a stronger/better comp but I would think that most guys that do any kind of gaming now would already have a better comp or they just are not gaming as it where.

As for a release or full release on RF2 I here rumors of November.
But I say full release lightly when it comes to RF2 as this sim is going to be worked and updated evolved and more product for years to come.
With that comes or might come bug fixes (I would say) so if you are not ready for that or do not think that would work for a league. Just think back to when RF1 came out that is the way it went and it worked for a lot of leagues including this one.
But this should really be a big consideration when choosing a Sim/Platform.

Another big thing to consider is the mod and and tracks
The easier you can make it to download and install the better it will be.
Specifically when it comes to a newbie.
Example: If they come here and have to download 3 different sections and then the tire thing then the tracks
you will more then likely lose that one and then if it goes bad we will defiantly lose him.
newbees want it easy want it quick want to be babyied sorry but that is the way it is most are the new guys are going to be young so they need ed be babied and hooked.

A little of my 2 cents

Ruben
I Might not be fast but I am ahead of you :-)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Good 2 cents.

I'll see what we can do to simplify it.

B. Gant

Post by B. Gant » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:18 am

money isnt an issue. We've already talked, and if we agree to use same mod/tracks presumably on rfactor2 in 2013, then we'll share server costs (john,jj, i)

The only issue is
1. Gathering TRacks. (I have 8 from 2012 schedule converted, still long way to go)
2. Getting a Mod together (Formula ISI could be an idea, and just add skins)
3. and as Ruben says, make it easy. rF2 can be a headache for people switching from rf1. Installation setup, etc totally different.

tentatively, I am planning to do a winter f1 series on rfactor2. Just to test progress of what I have so far. Hoping can get a solid 15 or so driving so I can get an idea how server load etc, etc, etc going to be....

bg

Tom101

Post by Tom101 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 pm

The cost or the sim is not what is most important to me. I want a mod that works well and is not constantly changing. I want the tracks downloaded at the beginning of the season and not dribbled out when someone decides that they are ready for us to have them. I definitely do not want to go back to a different aero package every race. It just increases the amount of time setting up the car from race to race and once again waiting until someone has time to get it done and post. We have ended up with the smallest grids since I started 4 years ago and I think all of the complications have put us there. So I really hope we end up with a mod that is able to accomplish these things especially the tracks in advance so we can practice the tracks we want to practice when we want to practice them.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Tom,

My concern is that no sim will have a full season of ready to go tracks that are bug free, unless we just rerun with the track list we have and the mod we have with the physics we have , now. I'm worried that if we don't move forward, there won't be enough interest to have a 2013 season. I am keeping my fingers crossed that some combination is FINISHED before we need to announce a package.

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:35 am

I think we lost Anthony because of all the files to put in to get the mod working. I think the mod we have now is great and understand that it takes a lot of work to get it there with updates and such. I think we really should have 3 pre season races and iron out the mod then, and maybe only do another update during the season, at the summer break, if it is even needed.(that is barring a major problem with something). With an all in one download, with an installer would be great (depending on how the mods get installed in what ever sim we will be using).
I am not so concerned about tracks being released weeks ahead of time. I think releasing a track for the next grands prix the day after the last race works for me. I do see the concern of guys that might have more time to make setups for multiple tracks earlier in the season, or on the summer break. Once school starts things seem to get busier for guys.
I think we need to make a decision on what mod (sim) we are going to use for the season around the middle of Dec. This gives some time for testing and getting new members before the preseason, which I think should start at the beginning of Feb. I am MORE than willing to help out with anything I can. I love this league and just want it to get back to what it was a few years ago.
Thats my 2 cents :)
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 pm

I am going to see if I can install everything and zip it up in one file.

The frustrating part is you were able to follow the steps and install it , Sean, and the guy you were helping could not. I can't predict what people will do wrong.

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am

JohnW wrote:I am going to see if I can install everything and zip it up in one file.

The frustrating part is you were able to follow the steps and install it , Sean, and the guy you were helping could not. I can't predict what people will do wrong.
I know what you mean. That's why I think a self installer would be best. Don't really know what is involved in that though. Like I said before that might be a moot point with next season depending on how you install the mod for what ever SIM we are going to use.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Juice

Post by Juice » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:05 am

Personally, I don't wish to buy yet another rig and RF2, but if that's the decision then I am pretty sure I will upgrade.

That said, I finally figured out most of the current mod and running it again with just minor updates like livery and maybe new tracks would be my option. (tires could last longer or fall off in speed more as they wear :) ) Keep the physics/aero the same for 13. I did check out F1E's Spa and mod they run this year, I did like the track better than what we ran. And I don't have a problem NOT having KERS and DRS. But I will run whatever next year. :D

I can also help out with PC support when I got some time. Working wierd ours and I get home pretty late, bearly enough time to grab a bite and make the race, but this may change, just not sure.

The only downside I see staying with RF1 is the guys who want something new and are tired of RF1. It would be more economical and less work to stay with what we have, it's pretty damn good (now that I figured out how to go a little faster!) Just a little tweak on tires, a touch more starting grip, a touch less wear, and touch more falloff should spice things up for 2013!

Josf

Post by Josf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:57 am

I like the challenge so as long as there remains to be a challenge then whatever decision is made is as good as the other to me.

I suggest that it may be a good idea to keep what works and then test a proposed change before abandoning what does work, since often has been the case in my experience where the greener grass on the other side of the fence turns out to be a picture painted on paper and jumping through ends up being a fall down a cliff.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:55 pm

The good thing is that if we move to rF2 and things don't work properly, and other leagues have issues as well, it's a very simple matter to fall back to rF1. I rent the server on a 3 month basis, so I am not locked into a high price, if it comes to that.

What I don't want to have happen to to lose drivers we have and/or not get any new ones BECAUSE we are on yesterdays sim. The flip side is I don't want to lose guys who can't make the switch.