Looking to next season

The place where your 2013 successes and failures go to hide

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81

Jeff Oppenheim

Re: Looking to next season

Post by Jeff Oppenheim » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Anybody know anything about the Codemasters F1 2012 we're seeing advertised on Speed channel?
"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just...waiting."
Michael Delaney, "Le Mans"

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Jeff Oppenheim wrote:Anybody know anything about the Codemasters F1 2012 we're seeing advertised on Speed channel?
I thought that was just a console game, but could be wrong.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Jeff Oppenheim

Post by Jeff Oppenheim » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:47 pm

In addition to XBox, Playstation, and iSOS, Wikipedia does list Windows as one of its platforms and shows that it has a multiplayer mode.

I wonder if any of our guys have tried it or know someone who has.
"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just...waiting."

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:14 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOO

It is not a sim, it is an arcade and you cannot have a full 24 car field. Plus, they are on patch #11 since it's release back in Sept, what a joke!!! With more fixes to come (not even joking). Has to be the worst F1 "game" series ever! It is for all platforms, therefore is it not geared towards hardcore sim racers like us, more for the general public to manage a driver's F1 career...not really big car technical stuff that we require. AKA the garage car setup setting are not in depth at all. If you don't believe me in how horrible it is, download the demo and try for yourself.

I'm telling you guys, rF2's F1 stock mod is good and well worth the wait. Its in the beta now and already has DRS built in (from ISI not a 3rd party). As of right now, the physics and tires do not need changing at least until 2014 or 2015 when the FIA finally decide to cut all aerodynamic abilities by 50% (very small front and rear wings). The latest beta version of rF2 with their F1 mod is good enough for us right now to consider it a milestone step ahead of rF1. The only problem is the lack of tracks for the F1 calendar. From much reading, 3rd party modders are already working on all the the current tracks and a few are already completed (and I don't mean rF1 track conversions, I mean real rF2 purpose built brand tracks).

A backup option (IMHO) will be Assetto Corsa. It is being made by the same people that did Net Kar Pro and the Ferrari Virtual Academy sims. I drove both and they are miles ahead of rF1 and 2 in terms of physics and graphics, AC looks to be a step ahead of those previous projects. Again the only problem will be lack of tracks until it releases and the 3rd party guys can start to mod the tracks (yes AC is modable). AC will have a couple of F1 tracks licensed and ready to go at the release (Silverstone, Monza and Imola) with more to come.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

Jeff Oppenheim

Post by Jeff Oppenheim » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks, Josh. Great info.

(Also, it appears that rumors of your death/disappearance have been greatly exagerated. Get your ass back on the grid asap!)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Josh,

Do we know if there is a dedicated server portion of AC ? Without that, we can't have it hosted. Our race host said they would give anything with a server version a try.

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:17 am

Jeff Oppenheim wrote:Thanks, Josh. Great info.

(Also, it appears that rumors of your death/disappearance have been greatly exagerated. Get your ass back on the grid asap!)
:)
JohnW wrote:Josh,

Do we know if there is a dedicated server portion of AC ? Without that, we can't have it hosted. Our race host said they would give anything with a server version a try.
John, they have not released much about server stuff yet, but from what I can tell about AC is that it is, in every way, in direct competition with rFactor 2. I'm guessing that we shouldn't have a problem with league server needs.
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 am

The problem I see with AC is "when" is going to be released?? It might be too late. I think we need to make a decision in mid Dec, to get guys ready for the upcoming season. RF2 at least we could race now and we have an idea of what the final product is.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 am

Higpup wrote:The problem I see with AC is "when" is going to be released?? It might be too late. I think we need to make a decision in mid Dec, to get guys ready for the upcoming season. RF2 at least we could race now and we have an idea of what the final product is.
Very true, which is why I think we should make the jump to RF2 regardless for 2013, as in not coming back to rF1 at all. Even if still in beta, content is still being released. With the community getting more and more antsy for their (everyone's) next league year and need for a new sim, 3rd party content will start to drop in Dec/Jan so everyone is ready, again even if in beta because it is good enough now. The AC site continues to say that AC will be released in 2012. And for me, it is merely a back up option for RF2. I look forward to either TBH and most likely will not be very active until one or the other is released (I hate to say that but really it is true for me, so don't let my opinion sway yours). I'm simply over rF1, the racing is good but the platform is simply out dated to keep up with our "as close to real as possible" because of the massive new F1 rules.
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Sebastian Scott

Post by Sebastian Scott » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:25 am

Lets just take the plunge and go for rF2!
The unofficial after midnight driving champion

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:22 pm

It may indeed be the route we take. That being said, it depends on tracks and mods. Would we need to start with rF1 and go to rF2 as the content comes out ? I hope not. The other issue is server costs and computer hardware needed for the rest of us. I think I may be OK. I hope the rest will be able to make the transition.

Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello
RF2 would be my vote
F1Ligue has already had F1 cars 2012 converted and in game for RF2
All cars where in game the reason they stopped was RF2 did not have DRS implemented yet.
So I am pretty sure we will see a f1 mod out soon there are a few tracks already being done with more to came
They might not be perfect but it never is.

And if comp hardware is a issue I would think unless we stay with RF1 they would need to upgrade no matter what platform we use.
Any ney platform is going to need a better comp and hardware.

As for server cost what are we talking about. ?
And the other sims will they also be higher.

Ruben M.
I Might not be fast but I am ahead of you :-)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Ruben,

The difference is from $415 per year to $600 per year, due to rFactor 2 taking a lot more server load and they can only have 3 games per server. I have chatted with Brandon about server time sharing. This would almost require we run the same mode and tracks to keep each league from needing to change back and forth for each league use. I may also need to do a required $20 fee, rather than just take donations , as I have for the years I have run things.

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Ruben Miranda wrote:Hello
RF2 would be my vote
F1Ligue has already had F1 cars 2012 converted and in game for RF2
All cars where in game the reason they stopped was RF2 did not have DRS implemented yet
Just so there is no confusion here, DRS is already implemented in the stock ISI F1 mod that is out now.
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Hello

JoshJ81 Wrote:
Just so there is no confusion here, DRS is already implemented in the stock ISI F1 mod that is out now.
Yes my point was that now that DRS was implemeneted that the team would resume work and have a f1 mod in RF2. Not a gurantee but a high possiabilty.

John Wrote:
The difference is from $415 per year to $600 per year, due to rFactor 2 taking a lot more server load
Well that is a pretty high jump :shock:
I myself am hoping this new year will be better so I will be able to help with some bucks.
But I would not have a problem in paying to race.

Ruben M.
I Might not be fast but I am ahead of you :-)