State of rFactor2

The place where your 2013 successes and failures go to hide

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

State of rFactor2

Post by JohnW » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:55 pm

This is just to let you know we're are still observing any updates to rFactor 2 and hoping for a full release. So far, there is not a way to fully control the server and all the variables, except with a virtual desktop to the server. The older "Dedicated Server" application screen are unchanged from rFactor 1 and don't cover all of the new stuff, just the stuff that rF1 did.

I know We haven't had any off season stuff going, which I apologize for. I wanted to see how viable rF2 was for this or if we should just do an rF1 off season to keep people sharp. Given the 2013 real F2 schedule starts on March 17, that doesn't leave much time, but I think we can get in some races before a real PreSeason should start. One driver suggested a BMW mod for off season entertainment, and unless there is another mod that just lights your fire, I think that's the way I will go. I hope more updates will come from ISI before the season starts, to make that decision easy. I am still hoping for a full season with rF2, but I will hold our 2012 mod as our fallback plan, unless something big happens. At least we know what we have with that package.

Nothing is yet in stone, and I am trying to keep my eye on things.

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Re: State of rFactor2

Post by JoshJ81 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 am

I think rF2 just had an update last week? Have you looked in that one yet John?
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 pm

I expected them to send me an alert, since I sent them MONEY.

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 pm

No, but I think you get alerted when you try to go online with it. Otherwise you have to hit up the site to make sure.
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Sebastian Scott

Post by Sebastian Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:43 pm

How we looking for rF2 for the coming season?

Is it going to be usable?
The unofficial after midnight driving champion

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:57 pm

That is my hope at this point. If it doesn't come off, due to lack of tracks or unforeseen bugs, we will fall back to Plan B, which I think will be rF1 with last years final physics. I'm trying to be flexible and be ready for either direction. I would LOVE to say Rfactor 2 is race ready and we are going full bore in that direction, but they have not released a final package. There may be issues that make it not the best choice to start with. We may have to put it off until later in the season and switch then.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 am

Guys,

At this point, unless there is a big release of tracks and updates for rFactor 2, in the next few weeks, I don't see banking our whole season on a hope that it will all work out in time. I know we need to start preseason very soon and we would all like to get time in F1 cars again. I hate not knowing which direction we will go for this season as much as you do, so my plan is to run last seasons mod once again. I will have to see if there were any significant rule changes over the off season that we might want to add in, but that would be the only change. On that note, if there is an issue with our mod that you would like us to look at improving, let me know, before we get too far into pre-season.

I hope we can participate with Brandon on his rFactor 2 server to have other races and work out issues all season long so that we are fully ready to go rFactor 2 for 2014. There are a few breaks in the schedule that would be a good time to try out rF2 mods.

stuff

Post by stuff » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm really hoping we can find a way to use rf2, switching between the two it just has a much more enjoyable feel, especially the tire model. But obviously if the tracks are missing that's going to be a big problem.

As for last years car, I thought it was pretty good. My only complaint would be that once we switched to the fixed aero package in the second half of the season, the cars heavily favored low downforce wing settings. Our top speeds were pretty crazy, being quite a bit faster without DRS than the real cars were with DRS. In real F1, higher downforce is almost always faster, but teams compromise on it for passing/defending. Our cars felt like the overall grip was decreasing slower than the top speed was increasing. Most 'medium' downforce tracks ended up favoring wings somewhere around 20 because the cars were just faster on raw pace setup that way.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Interesting observation, Stuff.

In a nut shell, your thinking that the wings should have more effect on grip than they do now.

stuff

Post by stuff » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Yeah, it just seemed like lowering the wings resulted in only a small loss of grip in the corners but a large reduction in drag on the straights.

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:27 am

I'll look into this soon. Thanks for the insight!
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:08 am

stuff wrote:Yeah, it just seemed like lowering the wings resulted in only a small loss of grip in the corners but a large reduction in drag on the straights.

I know I seemed to run much more wing than you the last few races and we were pretty evenly matched on lap times, but you smoked me down the straight, so I think I was a bit better in the corners.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

stuff

Post by stuff » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Higpup wrote:I know I seemed to run much more wing than you the last few races and we were pretty evenly matched on lap times, but you smoked me down the straight, so I think I was a bit better in the corners.
I think Indianapolis is clouding your memory :P, our top speeds were very close on most circuits. My point was more that our top speeds in general were much higher than in real F1.

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:24 pm

As far as top speeds and grip go, keep in mind that in the first half of the season, Josh was actively changing things on the tracks and coming out with tweaks. While this kept us very close to the real thing on lap times, it was frustrating for some guys who always felt they had to start all over again on each track. When Josh got busy with real life, I just posted all the tracks in mass and we left the cars and tires and the rest alone for the rest of the season. It's keeping it consistent and simple vs as real as we could get. What I intend to do get advice from Josh on a one time update to alter the downforce ratio from the wings, IF, it turns out the majority wish it. I'll wait for input in the next few weeks to make that call.

I want things to be as straight forward as possible for all those wishing to join this season, and those that can't put in the hours to dial in a perfect setup. So, if there are changes, I want them to be as simple to make and as few as possible.

Ruben Miranda

Post by Ruben Miranda » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Hello
Update 146 realeased
Tire model fixes and wear show as you race very very cool.

DRS zones are now applied for track selection

And much much more

a heads up

Ruben
I Might not be fast but I am ahead of you :-)