2013 ROUND 3: CHINA POST RACE

The place where your 2013 successes and failures go to hide

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81

Alaster

Re: 2013 ROUND 3: CHINA POST RACE

Post by Alaster » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Congrats Sean Higgins, race winner! And welcome new drivers! Overall another good race for me. I lost positions after a bad start and lost time in the opening laps after getting tangled up with Juice who spun. Then coming out of the pits on cold tires after my first stop I went wide at Turn 1, and later on I spun it trying to keep up with Sebastian Scott at the hairpin after the back straight. I think without these costly mistakes I could have finished where I started at P5. I console myself with the fact that I only posted the 7th fastest time in Q1, and only got to start P5 because some guys decided to not go out in Q2 and preserve their tires. So from a defacto seventh at the start to sixth at the finish, then it is not so bad after all.
YOU MUST CONQUER THE WILD COUNTRY TO WIN THE RACE FOREVER!

Kiwi

Post by Kiwi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

hey guys

a long lapse away from any form of online racing, an well an truly off the pace,I couldn't quite get the feathering of the throttle/braking points, lots to learn, that's for sure.
Never really in the hunt for qualifying or race,my main goal was to finish, which I achieved, also managed a tenth placing ,yet to be verified, as my files weren't saved for some reason.

I had the back of the pack easy covered,with no one around or near by,That was a lil boring at times, till the faster guys caught me up ::): , hopefully, I didn't hold you up to much ?
Now an Then managing 5-6 laps without spinning, overall, an enjoyable first F1 experience :mrgreen:

A short stint in between races,this time around,just looking at finishing the next race,again.

**How was my ping/lag to everyone??**

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Q1: Had the speed to get through to Q2

Q2: Went out and ran a very slow warmup lap. I knew I was right on the edge of not making 2 stops strategy if I even ran in Q2, but decided to anyway. I was too slow on warmup lap and my tires were no where near up to temp, and got P3.

Race: Started on Primes. I got a decent start and going down into turn 1, was able to slide in front of Jeff O and then saw Stuff go a little wide and make my move. I got the lead and built up around 6 second lead. At that point it was a decision to run about 1:40.5 laps to make my tires last 14 laps on first stint or go for it and do a 3 stopper and hope I had enough speed to make it work. I figured it was about a toss up on total time. I decided to go for it, and to my surprise the tires lasted until lap 12 driving in the high 1:39's. I pitted and stayed with Prime tires, and kept gaining on Stuff slowly. I now had a 15 second gap on Stuff and knew I needed to get around 20 seconds to make it work on my stratety and come out in front of him. On Lap 21 Juice came out of the pits right in front of me, I was leading, and I lost 2.5 seconds to Stuff on a lap and a quarter of following Juice. I had to basically dive bomb Juice to get by in turn turn 6. On my second stop Lap 26 (Option tires), I came out about 4 seconds behind Stuff, but I knew he was pitting in a few laps. From then on I knew I had to basically run Qualifying laps the rest of the race to have a chance. I split the remaing laps and pitted again on lap 34 (Options Tires) and came out about 2.5 seconds behind Stuff. After 2 laps I was on his tail and we raced hard for another 3 or 4 laps. I made my move with 2 laps to go and passed him on the outside of turn 14. I had tried the inside a lap or two earlier, but got pushed over far enough that I had to slow too much to make turn. I was able to open a little gap to Stuff the last lap and a half and just bring it home for the victory for Team Red Bull.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Juice

Post by Juice » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 am

Poor performance on my part, my apologies guys. Didn't have enough time to practice and work on setup. To my surprise I was actually faster than I thought I would be, but threw it all away by damaging my front suspension early, then the rear too. Car drove ok but was not stable. Tried for a one stopper, but was several laps short on making it happen. I'm putting myself on probation! :)

Shabo

Post by Shabo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 am

Man that was a fun race. To bad I pulled a bone head move on lap 14. My wheel came loose off my desk in lap 12, kept trying to tighten it on the straights. Lap 14 back long stretch I look down to grab the tightening knob, 0.3 seconds later find myself heading towards a wall, over compensate and wind up spinning into it taking out my rear wing and front left tire. Cars almost indri able back to pits.... Israel to iracing... Get in a wreck, hit escape and get towed back to the pits.... Been 2 years since I was in a formal rFactor race..... I hit escape thinking the same thing will happen, ill lose time but get back to the put to try repairing it. Oh no.... Big time bone head move on my part. Escape gives you a big fat DNF. What a way to start my season here at FiHS. That'll be the last time that ever happens. Great fun watching the rest of the race though and spotting for my teammate. Any wait till Bahrain!

stuff

Post by stuff » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Qual: I hadn't done any low fuel running in practice so both qual sessions were learning experiences. I was happy to finish up P1 but I was pretty sure Sean had a lot more pace in the car, judging from Q1.

Race: I made a good start but went too deep into the second part of turn 1 which let Sean by, after that he pretty much just drove away and I worried that was the last I'd see of him, but his first stop came earlier than I expected so that gave me hope he might have to 3 stop. On my second set I really wanted to maintain the gap because I felt if I could that would put more pressure on Sean, and if he was 3 stopping it would have left me with enough of a margin at the end.

Unfortunately though I was asking too much of the tires and wound up having to ease off towards the end of the stint, or else I would have ended up needing to 3 stop myself. If things had gone according to plan I would have maintained that ~15s gap up to my second stop which would have been a couple laps later than it was. The reality though was I took too much out of the tires, had to ease my pace, and still ended up stopping sooner than I wanted. Which meant Sean had a 20s+ gap before his final stop, and I was going to be a sitting duck when he came out on fresh options.

Once he'd caught me I tried to run defensive lines and focused on being quick where I needed to be to make passing difficult but the differences in our pace were just too much and he went right around the outside of me at the hairpin. It was a great race though, and it was fun to see differing strategies come out so close. This was the first time I'd actually made it to the finish in China so I can't be too disappointed with second :).

Sebastian Scott

Post by Sebastian Scott » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:44 am

Great to be back in the seat after a race absence. Had people staying with us so I couldn't get any time on track until late Thursday and a few laps before Q, thus eliminating any real setup time. It really showed with lack of pace, melting tires and the multiple mistakes I was making.

An apology must be sent to Alaster. I am really sorry for my cheeky undercut move at the hairpin when Stuff was lapping you. When I did it, I thought it was a tad naughty and was going to let you back through on the main straight but noticed you spun. In hindsight, I shouldn't have even done it. Sorry mate!

See you all in Bahrain!
The unofficial after midnight driving champion

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

I have tire files from the following drivers:

Sean
Stuff
Jeff O
Josf
Alaster
Otto
Juice

Kiwi had tire file issues, and contacted me. He finished 10th and will only miss out on 1 point.

Hello Sebastian Scott and Copper ! If you want points, you gotta' send me the files !

Sebastian Scott

Post by Sebastian Scott » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:15 am

sorry will send this evening when I get home.
The unofficial after midnight driving champion

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 pm

I received tire files from everyone except Copper and Kiwi. All the drivers who submitted files passed the test for using both compounds. Copper and Kiwi will not be given points for there 9th and 10th place finishes.

Sean,

I hope you can make that edit to the results. If not, I can fire up the ChampR scoring pages again.

Shabo

Post by Shabo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:16 am

What is the email addy we need to send these files to? I know Copper and I looked after the race but couldn't find them anywhere.

Thx
-Mike

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 am

Shabo wrote:What is the email addy we need to send these files to? I know Copper and I looked after the race but couldn't find them anywhere.

Thx
-Mike
If you click on JohnW on any post he made you will be taken to a page were it has a link to email for him.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Shabo

Post by Shabo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:21 pm

still not seeing it...

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 pm