FiHS F1 League - Sim Racecar Showtime

The place where your 2013 successes and failures go to hide

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81

Alaster

FiHS F1 League - Sim Racecar Showtime

Post by Alaster » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I thought I might "show off" my rig. Two adjustable metal shelfs bolted together and a car seat from a surplus shop make up the base chassis. Computer, videocard, lcd widescreen, and speaker systems were state of the art some years ago. I strapped the woofers behind and below the seat for vibration effects. G25 wheel and pedals are still spot on and feels great. An electric fan up high and in front for optimum cockpit cooling. Dual lamp lighting for round the clock racing. Everything is held together by bolts, belts, and clamps.

I would like to see a pic of your racecar and some description, please share.
YOU MUST CONQUER THE WILD COUNTRY TO WIN THE RACE FOREVER!

Josf

Re: FiHS F1 League - Sim Racecar Showtime

Post by Josf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:26 pm

What if my rig is pathetic

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:02 pm

ImageImage

Cool Rig Alaster.

I built mine from scratch out of square tubing of various sizes. I bought a race seat (cheap one) to bolt to it. Pedals are adjustable. The seat is moveable forward and back, and the wheel comes up and out and you can put the wheel in 90 degrees from normal so you can get in and out of the seat easy. I'm going to put a hinge on it to make it even easier. I have a G25, modified with a button plate so I have a ton of buttons. 37" tv for monitor. I really think my improvement in performance last year was due to this setup. Before I was at my desk, on a office chair with roller wheels. I would always be in different positions and have to move the chair up closer to the pedals when racing all the time. Oh and in the pic is my Hyper Dog "Cooper" :) He's a spaz
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Alaster

Post by Alaster » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:29 pm

That's a great setup, Sean. Are the tubes welded together and all that? Huge screen, too. Mine is only 24 inch widescreen, but still a lot better than the old 16 inch CRT I started racing with. I wish I had that button plate. Is that an aftermarket mod or something you just built yourself?
YOU MUST CONQUER THE WILD COUNTRY TO WIN THE RACE FOREVER!

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Alaster wrote:That's a great setup, Sean. Are the tubes welded together and all that? Huge screen, too. Mine is only 24 inch widescreen, but still a lot better than the old 16 inch CRT I started racing with. I wish I had that button plate. Is that an aftermarket mod or something you just built yourself?
Everything is welded together excpet the wheel you can pull up and out of the stand, and the pedal tubin telescopes to adjust, not that I need to. That button plate was an after market thing I bought from some place in the UK. I think it was about $130 just for that, then I had to wire it up and buy a usb controller to connect the wires to. I should of just bought a G27 :).
Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:04 am

BTW, I have the http://www.bobearlracing.com/ Bob Earl Racing seat (scroll down to the gif image just below the F1 Ferrari car for the exact seat I have). I also have the TV stand with a 32 inch Sony Bravia. The whole setup is roughly $750 and about a year old. Ricardo has the same seat and I think he would agree...it is amazing! Sturdy, adjustable for just about anyone (Andre the Giants need not apply). The best part is the whole setup takes up very little space, especially if you are using a laptop (which I do). It can fit virtually in a small closet. I'm looking to sale this setup. $300 total will get you the seat, TV stand, all hardware, Logitech DFGT wheel/pedals, and the 32 inch TV (Has HDMI and DVI hookups)(basically you are paying for the seat and stand only). This is a package deal as I do not want to part it out. If someone wants it, make me an offer and I'll send it to you (maybe $50 for shipping, I'll cover the rest if needed).

Why you ask? Space is limited in my apartment. Sim racing is becoming more distant in my rearview mirror mainly due to family life (a lot of travel and spending more time with Kim as there is a lot to do up here in Dover). Karting is also picking up and requires me to get up really early Saturday mornings to get to the track on time. Some events will require me to drive out the Friday before.

PM me if interested.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

Glyn Cooper

Post by Glyn Cooper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Higpup wrote:ImageImage

Cool Rig Alaster.

I built mine from scratch out of square tubing of various sizes. I bought a race seat (cheap one) to bolt to it. Pedals are adjustable. The seat is moveable forward and back, and the wheel comes up and out and you can put the wheel in 90 degrees from normal so you can get in and out of the seat easy. I'm going to put a hinge on it to make it even easier. I have a G25, modified with a button plate so I have a ton of buttons. 37" tv for monitor. I really think my improvement in performance last year was due to this setup. Before I was at my desk, on a office chair with roller wheels. I would always be in different positions and have to move the chair up closer to the pedals when racing all the time. Oh and in the pic is my Hyper Dog "Cooper" :) He's a spaz

Cool Sean is it sturdy? Dog has a cool name aswell :)

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 am

ya it's pretty sturdy. The seat frame is 2" tubing so it's pretty hefty, where the seat rails are attached, then under that on the main frame is 1.5" tubing for the rest of it.
Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion