2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JohnW » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Moncaco Grand Prix

Race Date: 7 June 2013
Circuit Name: Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve
Number of Laps: 53
Download Track HERE
The server is up and running.

I think I set the race length to 53 laps. Check when you get on the track.

If I had to guess, the top qualifiers will be near .... 1:14s in race trim. ( Not a scientific survey, but a wild guess based on how OFF the bloody pace I always seem to be. )

2013 RACE RESULTS- ROUND 7 CANADA

Higpup

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by Higpup » Thu May 30, 2013 6:04 pm

I swear I posted this already with all the info and track link. I don't see it now. hmmm I added the usual stuff to your first post John
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Jeff Oppenheim

Post by Jeff Oppenheim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:25 am

Ok, thx Sean.
"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just...waiting."
Michael Delaney, "Le Mans"

Josf

Post by Josf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I had a fun race. John qualified ahead but the race panned out to be a gradual increase in distance between the faster drivers ahead and the slower drivers behind without much in the way of contention for position during the race. I think my efforts to get a lot of laps driven at this track paid off in points for me, since attrition again handed the slower drivers a handful of points.

Shabo

Post by Shabo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 am

This was my 5th and probably final race. I've had 5 DNFs since I joined. In all the other leagues I'm in I've never had a harder time getting a car around a track then I do with this car/mod/track combo. To be honest I'm just a little distraught that two times now I've gotten stuck on a curb when in the last 3 years of watching every f1 race/qual/practice I've never seen it happen or when it has the car was always able to rock itself off. I dunno I guess ill wait till you all start racing rf2 next season

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:00 am

Shabo wrote:This was my 5th and probably final race. I've had 5 DNFs since I joined. In all the other leagues I'm in I've never had a harder time getting a car around a track then I do with this car/mod/track combo. To be honest I'm just a little distraught that two times now I've gotten stuck on a curb when in the last 3 years of watching every f1 race/qual/practice I've never seen it happen or when it has the car was always able to rock itself off. I dunno I guess ill wait till you all start racing rf2 next season
Kiwi got stuck on a curb also. Not sure which one you guys were stuck on, but don't give up. There is a big break between now and Silverstone 3 weeks. We can help you more if you want it. We can figure something out.
Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion

Josf

Post by Josf » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:12 am

I plan on spending a lot of time making laps at Silverstone between now and race day, and it sure helped me when Jeff and I ran a full practice race in preparation for the Canadian GP, the concept of having to finish many laps becomes a habit worth making, in my opinion.

If you want to practice full race laps for Silverstone then I will be there at that time for that practice session and to make it interesting I can load up with a lot of extra fuel for such a practice race, whereby the extra fuel works as a handicap to place our 2 cars in close proximity on the track during the practice race. I think it helps a lot to practice driving in traffic for many laps, to make that a habit too, and then the factor of pressure is reduced so that concentration can be focused better on reducing lap time, or going faster through each turn.

I've been able to practice almost every night, for at least a few laps, so practice races can be hit or miss, even without a scheduled practice session.

I can't get much out of something without having to put a lot into it.

Silverstone is one of the best tracks to me because those S turns, famous turns, are really neat to drive once a decent line is found through them, and those two very fast right hand turns are very challenging because they are easily confused one with the other which can work to really ruin a good lap.

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:24 am

Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:35 am

Shabo,

I don't know why some track creators make things that you can get stuck on, when it the real world, it is very rare. I think they focus on the racing surface and then just make the curbs and other outside stuff LOOK good, but don't take the time to make it right. Like those "logs" I got stuck on at the USF1 Monaco race. Keep in mind that was a different mod as well as a different track.

The questions is, how can you avoid this ? There are two ways. 1) Stay on the track. 2) Raise the ride height of the car enough to not get stuck. #1 is easier said than done. #2 is bad for handling. I have used the second option a number of times in that past when I knew I was going to have curb contact and didn't want to get tossed around.

Juice

Post by Juice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 am

Well, that sucked. What felt like one of my best runs, I ran the "F" out of fuel with 3 laps to go!!!! Dagnabbit Started out on the options and on lap 23 (I think) came in for primes and one stop strategy would have worked......if it wasn't for a small miscalculation. Oh well, I will just add +2 laps of fuel from here on. :mrgreen: I had 4th locked down and may even have gotten a podium. :x

Higpup

Post by Higpup » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 pm

I tried to stay with Stuff the first part of the 1st run, but I think he was just keeping a comfortable lead on me, 5 seconds or so. I was on a 1 stop strategy like Stuff, but tried to turn up the pace a bit with about 7 laps to go, and slid into the wall and bent my suspension. No big deal I'll just tough it out for 6 more laps. I had 33 seconds on Jeff. After 2 more laps I realized I touched the wall again, and my front wing was gone. I still could of stuck it out, but thought I had enough time to pit and get new front wing. I came out right behind Jeff with 3 or 4 laps to go. I got past him with 2 laps to go. I want to say congrats to Stuff. Great job not making any mistakes, and keeping up good pace.
Sean Higgins

2015 FiHS Champion

Kiwi

Post by Kiwi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:12 pm

For this track, one of my fears, was spinning out, and ruining someone elses race ...
I refocused, *Thanks to the guys support an encouragement*

Special thanks to Sean, who's setup for this track, almost suited my style *brakes,werent quite right, for my usual style of braking*
But I, tried to adapted, an started to brake earlier an softer *trying for no lock up*
No surprise, in Q here, an lucky last, way off the faster guys pace .. 7 sec's back

Anyways, for the race, I settled back into my routine, clocking out 1:21's-1:28
till about lap 12/13 when the leaders caught me up, at the last chicane before the front straight, I mistimed my brake point, an spun
I could see the rest of the pack, looming towards me, I drove off the track into, were,I thought would be a polite an Gentlemanly spot, so they could all pass, without incident , some how, I found one of those mysterious, humps/bumps/high spots in the middle of no where :shock:

I came,I saw, but didnt conquer the one bump, I some how became stuck on ... race over, engine over heated, as,I tried, this way, then that to get unstuck

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:31 pm

On the inside of that last turn, on the opposite side from where you got hung up, I got stuck in the "grass" one year. Race over.

Kiwi

Post by Kiwi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Shabo wrote:This was my 5th and probably final race. I've had 5 DNFs since I joined. In all the other leagues I'm in I've never had a harder time getting a car around a track then I do with this car/mod/track combo. To be honest I'm just a little distraught that two times now I've gotten stuck on a curb when in the last 3 years of watching every f1 race/qual/practice I've never seen it happen or when it has the car was always able to rock itself off. I dunno I guess ill wait till you all start racing rf2 next season
I need someone,way,way at the back with me ::): please :)

I know,I'm usually last or there abouts *I think,If,I changed my style,maybe,just maybe, I might be among the top 10 maybe :mrgreen:
As for this : car/mod/ track/s .... I have no answer, even with all the practicing/test/motec esp at this track, isnt helping myself *out of my style*
Its a challenge, its tough *imo, I know, I need to change my style,but this Ol' dog,doesnt like new tricks ::):

Kiwi

Post by Kiwi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:44 pm

JohnW wrote:On the inside of that last turn, on the opposite side from where you got hung up, I got stuck in the "grass" one year. Race over.
In or around that pit entry * circle type area* not the first corner,I think, I hit the first or middle apex as well, I spun at the enrty to the front straight* :o :shock:
Then drove off into that area