2013 Round 7: Montreal

The place where your 2013 successes and failures go to hide

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81

Shabo
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by Shabo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:57 pm

:) so today just for kicks after watching the real qualifying, I went back out on the track and for 30 minutes tried to get stuck on the same curb I did last night. No luck. Figures right? Hopefully these next few weeks of will be enough time for me to get my $hit together and atleast finish a race. This track I know well as I've done about 2k laps on it over in iracing. I'm just praying what I learned over there will have some effect on my racing here. We shall see.
Image

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead
Posts: 13263
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:12 am
Location: High Desert, California

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JohnW » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:13 pm

You need to find a setup and braking points that will keep you on the track. I am famous for making fast setups slow, but stable, in the past. I couldn't handle a fast setup because I would spin too often to make it worth while. I wasn't consistent enough to stay off the curbs, like the fast guys were. I made setups with room for error; all my errors. So, my setups have a higher ride height, to combat the curbs, I had softer rear springs and ARB, to keep the back and the back, I ran larger brake ducts to make my brakes last, because for one season, I kept running out of brakes, I ran more wing to keep the car planted.

You can't get better or gain confidence, if you keep going off and ending your races way to soon. Been there, done that. Still do, sometimes. But my setups are much closer to Sean's now. I've been sucking at this for 12 years. If I didn't have a short memory, I would have quit years ago.
Image

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director
Posts: 4240
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JoshJ81 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Shabo wrote:This was my 5th and probably final race. I've had 5 DNFs since I joined. In all the other leagues I'm in I've never had a harder time getting a car around a track then I do with this car/mod/track combo. To be honest I'm just a little distraught that two times now I've gotten stuck on a curb when in the last 3 years of watching every f1 race/qual/practice I've never seen it happen or when it has the car was always able to rock itself off. I dunno I guess ill wait till you all start racing rf2 next season
What type of wing setup are you running? Any/all tracks so far.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director
Posts: 4240
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JoshJ81 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Well done Stuff! One stopper!
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead
Posts: 13263
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:12 am
Location: High Desert, California

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JohnW » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:53 pm

A 1 stopper was easy to do, here. I changed from primes to options on about lap 30 and the options made the end easily.
Image

Shabo
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by Shabo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:49 am

JoshJ81 wrote:
Shabo wrote:This was my 5th and probably final race. I've had 5 DNFs since I joined. In all the other leagues I'm in I've never had a harder time getting a car around a track then I do with this car/mod/track combo. To be honest I'm just a little distraught that two times now I've gotten stuck on a curb when in the last 3 years of watching every f1 race/qual/practice I've never seen it happen or when it has the car was always able to rock itself off. I dunno I guess ill wait till you all start racing rf2 next season
What type of wing setup are you running? Any/all tracks so far.

So far Sean has been kind enough to give me setups that work for him. Last week I was running 31/36 f/r wings. I had them higher but my top end was so low that just on the straights I was losing almost 4 seconds a lap to guys who usually run in the middle of the pack and was losing 2 seconds a lap on my own personal best of 1:21 with full fuel.

Now I'm running higher wings for silverstone and cranked my ride height up and loosened the springs as suggested. Now I noticed that the sand on this track is like nothing I've encountered before. I've gotten stuck in sand on turn 16 now so many times. Still like this track. Such a challenge.
Image

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director
Posts: 4240
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JoshJ81 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm

For silverstone, try 52/60 to 55/63. Basically, work with a 7 to 9 wing split with the rear setting always higher (Unless you are one of those oversteer loving freaks). That should give you a some what netural feel. if you want more of an overstreet feel, lower the rear wing some to free up the rear diffuser to get the rear to rotate more in the middle (especially off throttle). If you want more understeer, to get better launching out of the corner, raise the rear wing.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012

Shabo
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by Shabo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:11 pm

JoshJ81 wrote:For silverstone, try 52/60 to 55/63. Basically, work with a 7 to 9 wing split with the rear setting always higher (Unless you are one of those oversteer loving freaks). That should give you a some what netural feel. if you want more of an overstreet feel, lower the rear wing some to free up the rear diffuser to get the rear to rotate more in the middle (especially off throttle). If you want more understeer, to get better launching out of the corner, raise the rear wing.

Cool thx. Ill give that a shot and see how it feels out there tonight. At this point I think I'd rather not even think about top speed and just focus in getting the car to stick for me. Forget about tire wear. Ill pit as much as needed. At this point I need whatever it takes to be stable on the track.
Image

Glyn Cooper
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by Glyn Cooper » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:05 pm

hey guys I think I may be done for now. Im just not enjoying the mod. So much so I don't even practice most races till hour or less before and when im in the race I try to get into it but just don't like the mod. I know if I put time in im sure I would give Sean and Stuff a run for there money but I don't wanna tbh. Had a couple of spins in the race had set fastest lap and had another little moment about half way thru the race I think in 3rd and just had no interest in continuing and parked it.
I cant say for sure I will miss my home race but at the mo I will say I wont be there. If I do get on track I will share my set if I decide not to race here.
If this is it then thanks. Looks like I will probably wait for a mod change next year or when you change to RF2.
Cheers
Image

User avatar
Josf
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:45 pm

WOW!

Post by Josf » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Wow!

I don't know what is wrong with the MOD. I would like to know, but I don't.

I think this MOD is very challenging, and so is the competition on the track.

If there is better, and I've looked, I don't know about better.

I'd like to know.

Just WOW! (with some comments)

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead
Posts: 13263
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:12 am
Location: High Desert, California

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JohnW » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Glyn runs full time over at USF1, so his practice time is limited and he is used to another mod, so I understand where he is coming from. Given how well he did with it, does confuse the issue. I wish I could do as well.

I will miss having you around, Glyn. The door is always open.
Image

User avatar
Higpup
Posts: 2265
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by Higpup » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Glyn Cooper wrote:hey guys I think I may be done for now. Im just not enjoying the mod. So much so I don't even practice most races till hour or less before and when im in the race I try to get into it but just don't like the mod. I know if I put time in im sure I would give Sean and Stuff a run for there money but I don't wanna tbh. Had a couple of spins in the race had set fastest lap and had another little moment about half way thru the race I think in 3rd and just had no interest in continuing and parked it.
I cant say for sure I will miss my home race but at the mo I will say I wont be there. If I do get on track I will share my set if I decide not to race here.
If this is it then thanks. Looks like I will probably wait for a mod change next year or when you change to RF2.
Cheers
Sorry to hear that Glyn, but I understand. I'm in the same boat in USF1. I can't get the hang of that car and don't really like it. I hope you come an join us again this season.
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion

Glyn Cooper
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by Glyn Cooper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey guys don't take it personal about the mod. I can see what you tried to achieve and i also know with rfactor 2 messing with plans for new mod and also John's personal issues you found yourself using it again but for me and I wouldn't of said this a few seasons ago but for a healthy league you gotta make it appeal a bit more to the masses and to do that you have to make it easier to drive. If a guy who isn't that skilled as a driver thinks he can race wheel to wheel without throwing away the car he's more likely to stay and fight in the mid pack or the back cause he has confidence in the car. The top drivers will still be the top drivers but more people will wanna race and keep racing if it's dummied up a bit. I used to think the harder the better but it ain't no fun when your winning and there's only so many die hards showing all the time and half of them are at the back with no one to fight. But that's my personal opinion.
Image

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead
Posts: 13263
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:12 am
Location: High Desert, California

Re: 2013 Round 7: Montreal

Post by JohnW » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:48 pm

It has been something I've always kept in mind, with our mods. It's the fun vs realistic graph. Which end do you want to go with ? How far can you go one way or the other without losing one group or another ?


On that note, I found keeping the back end of the cars from breaking loose ,in the USF1 mod, quite hard. The normal things I would do, just didn't make the change I needed. Yet, in other aspects, the car is easier to drive. It takes a lot of work to find the right mix. Coming from our mod, which I admit leans toward realism, you would think driving another one that leans more toward fun and competition, would be very easy, but I was still off the pace.
Image

Post Reply