JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

2012 Round 8: European GP POST RACE

Post by JoshJ81 »

European Grand Prix
Valencia Street Circuit - Valencia, Spain

Race Date and Time: June 22th @ 9PM EST

Download Track HERE just unzip to your GameData/Locations folder
Aero Package Update and the very last one for the season To install, follow the files in the zipped file.

Circuit Details

New Race distance cut from 100% to 75% for a total of 43 Laps.

Also, with the new distance change, we will bump the tire wear up to 4x. This help keep the pit stop roughly the same per race as if it was a 100% and hopefully throw in some good "mixing it up" strategies. The fuel usage will stay the same, so you'll just have to adjust your fuel for a 75% race. Hopefully, we can get back to our roots with this league and get you guys back interested in this hobby. I hope to see more of you (the missing faces and new faces) this Friday for some good ole fun!
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS Will become official after judging.
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Wins: 14
Podiums: 48
Poles: 17

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Re: 2012 Round 8: European GP

Post by JoshJ81 »

On and for any of you new guys, the server is named www.FiHSF1.net (I don't know the IP but the name is easy to find). And the join password for this race is EGP (yes all caps)
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Josf

Post by Josf »

Critical Review of first race.

1. The overall experience is very good, but positive reinforcement on all that good stuff is demonstrable on the track, and in the forum, and perhaps in e-mail, or voice chat, etc.

2. If the rules mean nothing (1 restart rule) then the rulers have all the power. If you can't understand that then I can be hired for pay teaching lessons.

3. Sleepers or sand bagging or whatever term applies to the fastest guys ( Matthies on lap 6 and JoshJ81 on lap 8 ) who lay back not starting at the front and then these guys "racing" are forcing the guys starting up front to have to deal with being past early in the race which is something to learn or something to understand or something to mimic or an indication of other problems or causes of other problems and really not good in my not so humble opinion. I won't bother qualifying next race unless some as yet to be seen information confirms a better angle of attack. Why bother qualifying if the faster guys are going to interrupt the early race with guys at nearly my level?

4. After being passed by the sand bagging twins, which slowed me down severely, I punted J Kim and as far as the rules I read go: that was both our faults since I was right on his wing drafting when that car suddenly slowed down in the racing line (at a rubble strip), but I pressed on despite my error.

5. Bad form added to bad form on my part I spun in the pits being discomBOOBerated from the sand bagging and the punting and general stupidity on my part requiring a stop and go.

6. Settling back into racing and conserving tires and dealing with traffic the race returned to something similar to the start where I was in fourth then third then being passed by the sand bagging twins, then punting, then pitting, then stop and go, then returning to a race like the start which was very, very, very, neat. Where Sean was just ahead in third place, and he appeared to be held back by second place which appeared to be held back by first place, but when first place pitted the appearance of things looked like Sean Higgins was going to hold onto second instead of pressing for first, but that, on my end, was when sand bagging began to appear in my rear view mirror.

7. No name tags during the race, but on replay it was Scott S in 1st with Tom101 in second when Tom 101 went to pit giving up the 2nd place to Sean Higgins, giving me 3rd place and a serious realization that I could make the podium; being unaware of the Sand Bag Twins at that time.

8. The MOD and the Drivers are so far fantastic, whereupon my critical review concerns my ignorance as to what was advertized and what actually happens in the race, with the multiple restarts and the sand bagging.

I can adapt and the race was more than expected as far as being very competitive and therefore fun and I hope the Silverstone track will be up and ready for learning soon, but unless there is some other information transferred to me I won't be bothering with qualifying since that is a joke.

P.S. I do not see any files in UserData\Log\fihs where I manually created a folder named fihs so I may not get my points for finishing?

P.P.S. I'm just learning so excuse my ignorance and critical review if my participation on or off the track is not favorable at this time - please. Or send me to the corn field; whatever - in the league I left we had a handicap system to "reward" the fastest ones with more fuel and the slower ones were then artificially brought up to speed which may have been a bad idea. I don't know.
Steven_M
Site Admin

Post by Steven_M »

All those restarts were something quite extraordinary...I have never seen three starts completely and utterly fucked as badly as those three starts were. That was horrendous...not on the parts of the mods for restarting, but on the part of the drivers that kept effing it up.

There should atleast be a gentlemens rule that if we restart once, there should be no passing into the first corner. When everyone chilled out on that final start after I asked, things were fine.

As for sandbagging, you are new and you're the only one that thinks we were sandbagging. Admittedly, my "twin" and I are quite a bit faster than most drivers...so for us it is more fun to start from the back and battle with you guys as we work our way through...You will see for instance that Sean and I had a really, really good battle at one point...I would not have had that kind of fun if I had qualified, and thus I would have had a much more boring race. It is not sandbagging...it is just not wanting to have a boring race.

And if everyone wants, I'll qualify, but I'll run with 250 liters next race...maybe that will be more fun? I am open to suggestions...I just want to enjoy racing with you guys when I get the chance to do so.
- FiHS' Senior Contributor of Assholiery -

-- 2007 : 2009 FiHSF1 Series Champion --- 2007 : 2008 FiHSF1 Constructor's Championship Co-driver ---
-- V8 Supercar Series Champion --- Formula BMW Series Champion --- SRA FIA GT3 Series Champion --
--- FiHSF188 Series Champion --

- The bullshit stops, when the green flag drops. -- "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -
Juice

Post by Juice »

There should be no restarts whatsoever, period. The only exeption I see in online racing is a network or server f'up. Where is the realism in restarts?

There are several reasons for my opinion, based on racing online for over 15 years.

1, I have been in many restarts, and 99% of the time someone else just gets f'd.

2, Drivers knowing there can be a restart, are more aggressive on the start. If you know once the green drops, the race is official, you will be more cautious not damaging your car.

3, Your concentration is broken, and you aren't in the "zone" you worked so hard for in achieving with the time put in practicing and building a set. And all that just gets thrown out. This may just be myself, and others can shake it off and not be bothered, I don't know. But after the second restart, I was getting pissed and losing interest in even racing, and then I get run into on the third start. Didn't help matters.

Sorry for the contact J Kim, it was my fault.
JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW »

We do restarts because the REAL F1 series has restarts. In the rules, it states we have them if "5 or more" cars get taking out of the race on prior to the completion of lap 1 by all cars. I over ruled that due to the low car count. In my mind, I didn't think you guys wanted to race with less than 10 cars, as that often leads to just doing hot laps and little racing. I never expected to need to do it more than once, but once the SAME issue happened again, I felt compelled to repeat the red flag, since it was mentioned that restarts just end up screwing up some one ELSE'S race the second time. I didn't want to have the " How come you restarted when THEY were taken out but not ME ?! " complaints. We haven't had to use that rule in a long time and I didn't expect it to show up last night.

"Performance Ballast" is a very bad phrase here. We're not going there again. Send me a PM if you want the story.

As far as Josh And Steven not qualifying, it has never bothered me. I consider it a self imposed penalty. They have to work their way up the grid to get to the front, where they probably would be if they put down some hot laps in the Q sessions. If Racer Scott and Ricardo Gonzales and Stuff etc were in the field, I'm sure they would put in some Q laps. Those guys are fast and anyone who beats them have to work at it. That being said, if the bulk of you drivers want every one to put in a real lap, I will consider putting it in the rules. Fast guys passing me doesn't put me off. It happens in every race.
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

Being that a moron as myself gave up the race win mere meters from the S/F line, I now feel a little bit better to be called/part of the sandbagging twins!
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Josf

Post by Josf »

I wrote up a story about how the race went from my view but the Forum timed out and ate my story.

The shorter version is: If it is OK I'll start from the back too, so as to be behind the fast guys at the start rather than be racing guys ahead and at the same time have to allow fast guys to pass which ends the race with the guy ahead at that point.

And no more Sand bagging twins how about stealth racers?
JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW »

They're only stealth, if you don't know they are normally fast. :)
Alaster

Post by Alaster »

I feel compelled to reply, if only because the first restart was caused and called by me (I know that is not within the rules), and I am just another driver in this league with no other support except my best driving... I wouldn't have asked it if I was just the only one with a wrecked car... I crashed by myself before at a race start and I didn't say anything... but it was a full course yellow and all that, and like Cap said, I thought only one red flag would be enough... the point is, we are all not perfect, and we played the hand that was dealt in Valencia... and I thank everyone for staying on and not quitting... we are all here to race and have fun... anyway, as racing drivers, our task is to look forward and fight, the next race is coming... if there is a problem, we must solve it, and not just say it...

Having said these things, I accept the penalty handed to me... there is no excuse for brain fade... I know, we all work hard to be prepared on race night, setups, hotlaps, file updates, etc., lets make Silverstoned and the rest of the season the best... no wagers, no silly in-games, no bullshit... maximum effort every race!
YOU MUST CONQUER THE WILD COUNTRY TO WIN THE RACE FOREVER!
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

Alaster wrote:I feel compelled to reply, if only because the first restart was caused and called by me (I know that is not within the rules), and I am just another driver in this league with no other support except my best driving... I wouldn't have asked it if I was just the only one with a wrecked car... I crashed by myself before at a race start and I didn't say anything... but it was a full course yellow and all that, and like Cap said, I thought only one red flag would be enough... the point is, we are all not perfect, and we played the hand that was dealt in Valencia... and I thank everyone for staying on and not quitting... we are all here to race and have fun... anyway, as racing drivers, our task is to look forward and fight, the next race is coming... if there is a problem, we must solve it, and not just say it...

Having said these things, I accept the penalty handed to me... there is no excuse for brain fade... I know, we all work hard to be prepared on race night, setups, hotlaps, file updates, etc., lets make Silverstoned and the rest of the season the best... no wagers, no silly in-games, no bullshit... maximum effort every race!
Where is my like button at :?:
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Tim202

Post by Tim202 »

I like bacon.
My sponsor is "Beaver Dam Maxi Pads"
JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW »

Thanks for that, Alaster.
Higpup

Post by Higpup »

My race went OK I guess. I was in 3rd for a few laps then Tom looked like he overcooked the last corner and just pitted since he was over there. Following S. Scott he disco'd I guess, and I was in the lead with Twin 2 behind me. ::): We had a good battle on the track and in team speak talking smack while it was going on. :). I went in to pit and didn't check to see if my team car was in there and had to do a drive thru. It happened again later in the race. So I got to know pit lane real well. I guess that will teach me to communicate with John on TS before I plan to pit. :D I tagged Jeff in a medium speed corner. Sorry about that again Jeff. Later in the race some weird thing was going on between Tom and Alaster in turn 1 they both were stopped and I slowed and then went between them and then got hit from Tom in the next corner, which damaged my rear wing. Not sure what was going on there.

All Take 4th after my 5 pit stops.

As far as the LETTING faster guys by, we all have to do that. I often do that for Steven and Josh and others when they are behind me making up time on me fast. It usally cost me about 1 second, nothing more. Last night I was leading and there was NO WAY IN HELL I was LETTING Steven by, he was gonna have to earn it.. But if I'm in 5th there is no point in burning off my tires to hold off a driver just to have to pit 7 laps early because I've baked the tires. ::):
Sean Higgins
http://www.higpup.com

2020 FiHS Constructors Champion
2015 FiHS Champion
2012 FiHS Constructors Champion
Sebastian Scott

Post by Sebastian Scott »

It was one of those nights I guess...

I felt really comfortable at this track, did a good Q time, hooked up everyone of the 4 starts and had no issues through T2/3. I think I contributed to Tom flying into the pits, I'm sorry if my slow entry into that corner and it probably caused you to lock up and miss the apex. Had a nice lead on Sean and was in keep the gap mode then trusty rFactor crashed... night over!

Oh well... home race next!
The unofficial after midnight driving champion