2020 F1 Season: Round 17

Discussion for the main FiHS F1 Championship

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown, JoshJ81

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Re: 2020 F1 Season: Round 17

Post by JohnW » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:25 pm

I voted for night, since half the sessions were night.

Jeff Oppenheim

Post by Jeff Oppenheim » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:42 pm

I vote for day, but It'll be good either way.
"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just...waiting."
Michael Delaney, "Le Mans"

John Cook

Post by John Cook » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:37 am

sorry for the crash in the pit john , the light turned green i went , didnt even think about other cars ... :(

Otto Acosta

Post by Otto Acosta » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:40 am

There is a couple of things I would like to mentioned about this race.

1. It would be nice if we get to practice at night for a night race. All week we were practicing at day time just to find that practice was changed to night the day of the race. It takes some time to adjust braking points and references and not everyone can get on the server hours before race time to practice.

2. Very late in the race there was a lapped car that decided to race me all the way down the front straight and fight for 'position' at turn 1 and we ended up making contact damaging the FL suspension on my car. There is no excuse for something like this, there was no one around us, he was not involved in any fight for position with any other driver, he's been off the track several times already. That was completely pointless and unnecessary. Why is slowing down a little bit on the straight to let the leading car by so hard? Is it situational awareness? did he know I was there? didn't he see the flashing blue lights all the way down the straight? I have one piece of advice for him; download and install Crew Chief, please!
"To finish first, you first have to finish" - Mario Andretti

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:31 pm

The Stewards are investigating the incident...

JohnW
Jaded Figurehead

Post by JohnW » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Raced report.

I just and way too annoying a week to get on the track at all. Didn't know the sessions were half in daylight and half in night. Sorry about that. I could have tossed a coin to go either way.

I really thought about not racing, when I saw my lap times vs the rest of you. I knew I wasn't focused. If it were not for going low full and full boot for a lap or two, I wouldn't have been close to 107%. Of course, some of you went faster in Q2 and that did make me past 107%.

Watching a few tops guys top speed, I thought I was in the range for wings and I just tried to work the suspension to be able to ride the curbs more. It felt OK. As the race fuel dropped, I had more and more trouble keeping the car straight on the exits and ended up pointing the wrong way. Finally, ended up losing the front wing at Sean's Tunnel and went into the pits. I was almost to my stall, when John came out, just as I was turning in. Been there, done that. I don't blame him, much. You can forget to check your mirrors, when the pit is almost always empty. It gave ,me a reason to park it. The race was only half over and I had been lapped by one and all.

On to another street race ! Yay ?