How to Organize Your EA Folder With Multiple Installs Of Gam

Moderator: Koolbrown

Pace Racing
Godfather

How to Organize Your EA Folder With Multiple Installs Of Gam

Post by Pace Racing » Fri May 13, 2005 10:37 am

I wanted to share some tips for organizing your EA F1Challenge folders. Many of you already know most of this, but there are some people new to the league that this will certainly help.

When you install EA Sports F1 Challenge, the game will create a default folder called EA SPORTS. The default location of this folder is C:\Program Files\EA SPORTS. This is the folder that you keep all of your installs in. As you can see in the picture below, I have several installs of the game in my folder. The first four folders are pretty self explanatory, but the last two are a little different. They are backup installs of the game, that can be used should I have a problem with any of my other installs. I don't use them to actually play, they are just there in case I need to do a quick reinstall. The first is a copy of the the game with the RH04 v1.04 mods installed. The second, a copy of just the plain install from the CD. Both have my player file and the no-CD patch already installed. Believe me when I tell you they have both come in handy. At some point you will most likely have to reinstall the game, or will want a new install for a different league, like the F3000 league. In the case of the F3000 league, I just simply right clicked the "Fresh install with v1.04 modifications" folder, clicked copy, then pasted it right in the same EA folder. I then applied the FiHS F3000 Update, and I had a separate install of the game, ready to go, in less than 5 minutes. I can't tell you how many times I've used this technique. It's much easier and faster than trying to do a separate install with the CD. Most of us have plenty of hard drive space. If your space is limited, reduce the number of installs on your computer.

Once you have all these installs, you have to be able to quickly choose which one you want to run. My personal preference is to use a large start bar, and have it auto-hide. This allows me to use the quicklaunch feature of the start bar in Windows XP for all of my software. If you use a similar method, here are some quick pointers. Below, you will see the multiple installs of F1 Challenge on my system. Notice that I don't group them together. This is to ensure that I am selecting the correct version I wish to launch. To make these shortcuts, simply find the F1Challenge.exe file in each of the separate install folders, right click and drag it to your start bar, and choose create shortcut here when you release the right mouse button. (If you don't have the quick launch feature activated in Windows XP, simply right click your start bar, choose the toolbars sub-menu, and make sure there is a check mark next to the Quick Launch feature.)

As you can see in the above screenshots, when my mouse hovers over each install, it is correctly labeled, rather than just saying "copy of F1Challenge" To do this, simply right click the icon, and choose rename. You will also notice that there is a shortcut to my EA folder, right next to the F1 league icon. This is SUCH a useful little shortcut. Every time you want to access a file in one of your installs, wheather it be a telemetry lap, a replay or just a setup, all I have to do is click this shortcut, and I'm instantly in my EA folder. This is much easier, and more importantly quicker than having to run the My Computer program, then search through your Hard Drive to find the EA folder. This is especially helpful when you are trying to quickly share files with another driver and time is of the essence.

I hope this was helpful! :D

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Fri May 13, 2005 10:55 am

Thanks for the info!