Rear Wing in Action!

Everything to do with the real McCoy goes here

Moderators: Pace Racing, Higpup, Koolbrown

Ricardo Gonzalez

Rear Wing in Action!

Post by Ricardo Gonzalez »

Here's a really neat video of the Sauber this morning testing in Valencia, if you fast forward to 2:45, you'll see the new rear wing in action, pretty impressive stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Sujfvy ... re=related
FiHS F1 Career Statistics:

Starts: 42
Wins: 14
Podiums: 27
Poles: 17

"If everything seems under control, your just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

Indeed. For some reason I thought is would move smoother/slower. I don't know why though, cause it's much more functional at that rate :P
FIHS F1 Career Stats
Updated through 2013 Round 1 at Melbourne
Starts: 108
Podiums: 48

2x Winner Monaco 2010, 2012
Ultimo_Posto
Alpaca Farmer

Post by Ultimo_Posto »

The first few races of the season suggest that movable wings have finally solved the overtaking issue that has been killing the sport. But have we made overtaking too easy? Often it appears to be impossible to defend one's position. After the final pit stops, it seems that it is better to come out a second behind your opponent bcause you are almost guaranteed a free overtake. It is a common tactic in arcade games to give chasing cars a speed boost in order to prevent one car running away with the race. The races are increasingly reminding me of Mario Kart - Mario Andretti Kart perhaps. I think the performance boost from DRS is too high at the moment.
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

I think Rosberg had it the worst. I felt so sorry for him in Turkey, just a seating duck. He was able to make pass backs and able to stay ahead but once they opened up the DRS zone on lap 2, it was over for him. I'm not a fan, I think KERS is all they need. Or at least make KERS unusable when the DRS is engaged or the other way around or both.
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Ricardo Gonzalez

I think its fine. You have to remember that the DRS is a work in progress. It was perfect in China and Malaysia. They simply made the activation zone too long in Turkey. If they go back to Turkey next year I guarantee that they won't be able to open the wing so early.

"If everything seems under control, your just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

If they go back to Turkey. Did you see all those empty seats on the front stretch?
FIHS F1 Career Stats

Ricardo Gonzalez

Yeah, thats why I said "if" and not "when" :)

JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/05/11/l ... rand-prix/

Looks like even longer DRS zone for Spain, more artificial passing...
FIHS F1 Career Stats

MarkG

Post by MarkG »

I think it's great that the activation zone is that long. I'm not sure if it's such a negative to have a longer zone rather then a shorter zone. I like the passing that has been going on this year, and after watching the Turkish GP, I realized just how close in realism we are to them... Great work on the mod Josh... (not trying to start a completely different thread so I will stop there)
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

Well next year's mod it being based on Q speed traps and "the highest/hardest corner" speed we see in 2011. The problem will be the trap speeds are always higher in Q than in the races because the DRS is available at anytime during P1-Q3 (Friday-Saturday). I think the passing will still be there next year and we'll have more track specific aero physics rather than an overall package. This year has been the most fun to follow from my mod making stand point.

But still I think the DRS is creating to many "sitting ducks". If they cold just make is only KERS or DRS can be used, rather than both at the same time, that would be better. At least the following driver can defend that hard earned spot better. Being chased by KERS and DRS=sitting duck, it's just overkill IMO and the extra space in Spain will make it worse for the passed driver to get it back. Because the DRS does not deactivate until the driver hits the brakes. So if the pass is made early on, the passing driver can keep up the low DF for the long time and the passed driver can do nothing. Or they could deactivate the DRS once the it's recognized the front wheel is in front. IDK...it's all artificial. :)
FIHS F1 Career Stats

MarkG

Post by MarkG »

I like to see in our race if 2 stop will be possible still. Turkey was boarder line, I pushed my hards extreme then blew a tire on the lap I was pitting... But that was so I could go 2 stop. Malaysia was 3, Spain could realistically be 3 stop...
JoshJ81
F1 Series Race Director

Post by JoshJ81 »

Well according to the real Turkey, we should have seen more than 3.
FIHS F1 Career Stats

MarkG

Post by MarkG »

joshj81 wrote:Well according to the real Turkey, we should have seen more than 3.
I think more like 3 should have been the norm.